Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Well it will be a 125g 6 footer but the front to back space won't really be there for a 75g sump. The 55g is only what 13" deep? I'm gonna go look at some premade sumps online and if you don't mind I'll link them and if you can help me out that'd be great.
What is the length in inches from front to back? Here's a list of some sizes I took from glasscages.com

Code:
75 Long	   	72 x 18 x 13 High
100 Long	72 x 18 x 17 High
135 Gal.	72 x 18 x 25 High
100 Wide	72 x 24 x 13 High
125 Wide	72 x 24 x 17 High
180 Wide	72 x 24 x 25 High
180 Tall	72 x 18 x 31 High
240 - 6 Tall	72 x 24 x 31 High
240 Wide	72 x 30 x 25 High
280 - 6 Wide	72 x 36 x 25 High
All of these are 6 feet in length. If the inside of you tank isn't the full 6 ft then these won't fit. If it is, then you need to next look at the width. Find the ones that fit. Then, compare the height. You may find that some of these may fit...

Also, yes, I'd love to help look at some pre-made ones you find. Just post away, I'll be checking whenever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
hey if you think about it pwc's will be a lot easier
instead of lifting jugs or gallons you could just siphon into the sump
Yes, this is very true. You could even plumb in a pipe that allows you to drain some water very easily. There are so many possibilities. Also, you can put on a line from your RODI unit and a float switch for easy top-offs. Just make sure you monitor the salt levels...

Quote:
yeah I read that in one of the articles that was linked earlier. Not sure how the plumbing even would run yet so I'll explore that later. lol
I could always help you out with the plumbing design. I'll see if I can get some pics and try to sketch something up for you. =)

Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL I just measured my 125g and its 18 inches deep so technically a 75 kinda could fir in there depending on the stand. That seems awful big though. How come all the acrylic sumps I see are only 30 or 36 inches? they all are rated for at least 125g too but I can't possibly see how I could fit all that gear into one of the acrylic ones. :-(

Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got some nice pics for you =)

Somebody's full diagram of some plumbing. Source

Something you might expect to see after you finish plumbing. The Source has some nice pictures as well. you may be interested in reading it.

Back of a tank. You can see that the water comes down the pipes to the overflow, as well as being pushed out to create current. Look at the location of the holes. Placement can change the current throughout the tank. Source

Bulkhead that is attached on the hole drilled into the glass or acrylic. this allows you to use PVC piping (or tubes, etc. ) to get the water to/from the sump. Source

Hope some of these pictures show you what the plumbing will be like... If you were close to where I live I could always help plumb it =) But i don't think you are if I remember correctly... But it isn't too hard, especially if you have some experience.

edit: Nope, you aren't close. Oh well. If you can't figure it out, I bet you could find somebody that can help. =) I bet you could get it. I mean, I'm having some trouble myself figuring out how I'm going to plumb my whole sump... D=
Old 04-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
LOL I just measured my 125g and its 18 inches deep so technically a 75 kinda could fir in there depending on the stand. That seems awful big though. How come all the acrylic sumps I see are only 30 or 36 inches? they all are rated for at least 125g too but I can't possibly see how I could fit all that gear into one of the acrylic ones. :-(
Those sump tanks are 25% of the DT size. I can;t remember the ratio, but somewhere in there would totally work. I'd just recommend getting the biggest you can, as it will make things easier for you. But... you can get smaller and save some money, but it would take some more work, and some time and patience to (possibly) get all the equipment to fit in there.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dude.....those diagrams are some seriously confusing stuff! I'm trying to follow.LOL Just need to concentrate more i guess.

I will probably end up with one premade to be honest. How many drilled holes would I need in a tank? and where? I'll have 2 overflow cover thingees.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the above plumbing diagram, what is the purpose of the orange line water flow?
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Dude.....those diagrams are some seriously confusing stuff! I'm trying to follow.LOL Just need to concentrate more i guess.

I will probably end up with one premade to be honest. How many drilled holes would I need in a tank? and where? I'll have 2 overflow cover thingees.

If you have two overflow boxes, then I'd do one in each corner. Plus, two somewhere else in the tank so that the return has somewhere to come back in. Plus, it creates flow while getting the water back. Less power heads then. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
In the above plumbing diagram, what is the purpose of the orange line water flow?
The orange line is showing that the water from the tank is being drawn to a separate pump, which just returns it straight to the tank. This creates a flow in the system, plus the water in the pipes gives a little bit more water volume.
(That pump could also be a canister filter, I can't tell. If it is, then it not only creates flow, but it filters the water.)
Old 04-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have some pictures of my 90 gallon plumbed to a 29 gallon DIY sump in my profile if you wanna look
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

What stops fish or snails from getting into the overflow box and down into the sump
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have strainers on mine. The boxes are notched at the top where fish can't get through

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com