Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sump Issues

So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	sump2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	21475  

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman59 View Post
So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Im not completely following what you are explaining . Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Thanx but no.....

Gurgling in the standpipe is a pia. I just put one on a 90 and it was running super quiet for 60 days and now the gurgling starts. Mind you I've had one on another 90 for years and not a peep. So far I've...

Increased the air hole at the top... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 1/4" airline tube in the intake... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 3/8" airline tube in the intake ..Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Next up is to drill out a bigger hole in the cap and work my way back with a value.

My drain is about 3" underwater (give or take based on evap). I might try and move it above the water line too.. Sometimes if it' too far under water the back pressure can cause the water in the overflow chamber to rise and fall.. Though I'm not sure that's 100% associated w/ the gurgle though
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Im not completely following what you are explaining . Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?
The return pipe is in the water in the sump, the idea was to get very little water movment. The overflow drain pipe is a durso standpipe, I did not have any gurgle issues until I had to move the pipe up to raise the water level in the overflow. What else can i tell you that will help with an answer.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Thanx but no.....

It's the durso.. google durso gurgle (or some variation). I still haven't found the majic bullet.

How big is the air hole in the cap?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
It's the durso.. google durso gurgle (or some variation). I still haven't found the majic bullet.

How big is the air hole in the cap?
I have tried all sizes of holes still to no avail. I was going to try this.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Thanx but no.....

I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...
Well the tank started kind of a slurping sound now. I have clear tubing going into the sump. you can watch air bubble starting in the tube then slurp/gurgle the it goes quite for a little while.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman59 View Post
I have tried all sizes of holes still to no avail. I was going to try this.
This is exactly what I did for my Dual Overflows, both of mine are pretty quiet now.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....

drilled or HOB.. I would guess HOB maybe?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com