Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
goalieman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OFallon IL
Posts: 17
Sump Issues

So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	sump2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	21475  

__________________

__________________
goalieman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman59 View Post
So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Im not completely following what you are explaining . Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?
__________________

__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
Gurgling in the standpipe is a pia. I just put one on a 90 and it was running super quiet for 60 days and now the gurgling starts. Mind you I've had one on another 90 for years and not a peep. So far I've...

Increased the air hole at the top... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 1/4" airline tube in the intake... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 3/8" airline tube in the intake ..Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Next up is to drill out a bigger hole in the cap and work my way back with a value.

My drain is about 3" underwater (give or take based on evap). I might try and move it above the water line too.. Sometimes if it' too far under water the back pressure can cause the water in the overflow chamber to rise and fall.. Though I'm not sure that's 100% associated w/ the gurgle though
__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
goalieman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OFallon IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Im not completely following what you are explaining . Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?
The return pipe is in the water in the sump, the idea was to get very little water movment. The overflow drain pipe is a durso standpipe, I did not have any gurgle issues until I had to move the pipe up to raise the water level in the overflow. What else can i tell you that will help with an answer.
__________________
goalieman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
It's the durso.. google durso gurgle (or some variation). I still haven't found the majic bullet.

How big is the air hole in the cap?
__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
goalieman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OFallon IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
It's the durso.. google durso gurgle (or some variation). I still haven't found the majic bullet.

How big is the air hole in the cap?
I have tried all sizes of holes still to no avail. I was going to try this.
__________________
goalieman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...
__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
goalieman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OFallon IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...
Well the tank started kind of a slurping sound now. I have clear tubing going into the sump. you can watch air bubble starting in the tube then slurp/gurgle the it goes quite for a little while.
__________________
goalieman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman59 View Post
I have tried all sizes of holes still to no avail. I was going to try this.
This is exactly what I did for my Dual Overflows, both of mine are pretty quiet now.
__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
drilled or HOB.. I would guess HOB maybe?
__________________

__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sump issues fishdoc Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 05-07-2009 01:40 AM
Sump Issues demodiki General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 02-23-2007 05:34 PM
Pro Clear Sump - How to put heater in sump & Questions.. TheChad Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 04-14-2006 07:39 PM
Tank issues after installing chiller and sump techiegirl General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 09-27-2005 06:53 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.