Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sump on non drilled tank

So my husband installed a Sump with an over flow box on our tank which is not drilled. Everything worked fine for a while then the water in our tank is getting way to high. Almost over flowed twice. He has worked very hard on this and just does know what is wrong. Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like your return pump is pumping into the tank faster then the overflow can send it to the sump...It is a trial and error thing to get it perfect..
Also,how are you topping off?? You need to do top offs in the sump ,not your tank..

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So we need a different pump or change the ammount of flow were getting? And we topped off the tank. So drain the tank to normal levels and as needed add to the Sump?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

We have decent flow untold the over flow box starts to make a gurgling sound like its catching air flow somewhere and it decreases just long enough the water rises a little and it happens enough times it overflows the tank.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes ,always top off the sump...just keep an eye on its levels from now on,,not your tank...
How much GPH is your return pump...So many things come into play when trying to match the in from the overflow to the out of the return pump..
How much GPH from your box,how much GPH your pump is, how much headloss ,and,how many and what size drains you have on the overflow box..
You should also have a ball valve installed on your return line
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends.... If your overflow is rated 600 gph you should get a pump rated about 725 gph.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can also install a ball valve after your return pump to regulate the water flow going back into your tank if your pump is indeed pumping more than oyur overflow can handle. I have one on my system as my returnpump is at 1532 and my overflow is only at 1200.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Depends.... If your overflow is rated 600 gph you should get a pump rated about 725 gph.
Depending on headloss,,if your pumping up 5 feet or more than likely your going to need 1000+GPH
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well my pump is pumping too fast right now is my problem is what yall are saying? Or I need to get a bigger over flow box? I'm pretty sire the pump is rated 600 gph I'm not sure on the box my husband prob knows.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

And how would I install a ball valve? And where exactly can I find one?

Tags
drilled, led, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com