Sump overflow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluzepher1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Overflow rated at 300gph
return pump rated at 590gph

Doesn't sound like a good match. Sorry for the newby question.
40b with 15gal sump.

Am I going to have an issue? :banghead:

Thanks

+1 on the ball valve or get a pair of ball valves and a T connector and divert some of the flow back to the sump or into a reactor, slimmer, etc

+1 on diverting flow. You dont really want to put to much backpressure on the pump. Itll burn the pump up

So 2 ball valves and a tee connector. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info.
Look at my build thread. I have videos on what I did. I have 2 drains so I used 2 ball valves and one retirement has a ball valve.

I am on my phone app so I can't copy the thread. Just click on my name and then click on posts from this user. And you will find it. Hope that helps.

Put a ball valve on the return line, when you start it up keep it wide open cus you will have head loss and if you add elbows more loss there. If the tank water rises to high then turn down the valve. Placing the weir of the overflow box properly is important but easy. It will adjust the height of the tank water to prevent flooding. Start off at just above the bottom of the tank rim.(black support around tank)adjust if needed. Good flow thru the box will keep the siphon and will start right up after you plug the pump back in after wc.

My tank is not hard piped. Vinyl tubing on return pump and corrigated gray tubing on drain from over flow

I just bought a smaller return pump, could not locate a ball valve at my location big box stores. Geeze.

Here's a pic of my overflow. Can't get behind the tank to show my return pump. There are a lot of good YouTube videos that will show how to make them.

image-2581921594.jpg

image-2856863469.jpg

Just to clarify, the bigger pipe toward the back of the tank is my protein skimmer. Nothing to do with the overflow.

Back
Top Bottom