Sump protein skimmer suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Partsman41953

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a 90 gallon reef aquarium which is likely going to house mostly soft coral (mushrooms, pulsing Xenia et cetera) along with clown fish, tang, shrimp and maybe a seahorse. Since this is my first venture in using a sump, I was told I could use a 20 long tank to house my protein skimmer. I am looking for suggestions on a good protein skimmer and if a 20 long tank would be suitable to use as a sump. I was looking at some skimmers online and saw the Reef Octopus NWB150 and Aqua Maxx skimmers which received good reviews but saw that the Reef Octopus could be noisy.

Since I am a novice at this I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

All protein skimmer are a bit noisy, you must put the sump if a closed stand. Don't forget to put the sump on a styrofoam plate to avoid vibrations on the floor.

make sure you take a skimmer rated of the double of your tank size. a 150g skimmer would be perfect. That reef octopus NWB150 would be perfect.

A 20 long will work, you'll just have to prepare it so that you have room for a skimmer and a possible refugium. Over skimming the tank is not necessary depending on whether or not you want to use a refugium too. In addition, soft corals, like the ones you listed, prefer a little more nutrients in a tank. And keep in mind the amount of room you're working with in a 20 long...generally skimmers get larger as they are rated for more gallons.

all protein skimmers are a little noisy, I have a reef octopus and love it, I would recommend it to anyone, also agree with the bigger skimmer like the 150

You can't keep seahorses with fish. They need a species specific tank. Maybe pipefish, but not regular fish like clowns and tangs. That said, you will need a powerful skimmer if you want to keep corals (depending on the corals) so, if you can fit it (measure the INSIDE dimension of the 20 long)
Bubble Magus BM 220A Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

Much better than the skimmers you mentioned.

If you are a novice, then buy a used skimmer until you are more familiar with skimmers. Very cost effective.

Sca aquarium $149 three size up to 180 gal. They work great.
I wouldn't use even the 180 gallon model on a 90 gallon plus sump. It's only 18" tall (a very small reaction chamber) and draws only 450lph air. What makes a skimmer is the pump- how much air and water it pulls, then after that, the reaction chamber- how much time the water mixes with the air...

I have a reef octopus nwb110 and it gives of a little noise but I also have mine under my tank in my fish tank stand. My skimmer works great I clean it out 2-3 Times a week( only can hear it when the door is open on the stand)

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom