Sump pump help and some opinions on my new setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clexman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after telling myself that a 29 gallon was all i needed. I went out and ordered a 90 gallon All-Glass MegaFlow tank last week. It's predrilled with an overflow built in on one side. The aquarium will be a reef tank consisting of as many fish as possible, tons of overpriced pet rocks and a few corals thrown in.

My question is...
What are the pros and cons to the different sump setups and related return pumps (i.e. in sump or in line pump)?

My lighting is provided by a Current USA 48" Orbit Extreme 4x130 Watt (520 watts total for those of us without enough fingers and toes to count that high) Power Compact fixture. I currently have no plans for MH lights or a chiller (i'll just have to wait and see how hot these new 130 watt PC lights get).

Anyone out there using this fixture?

I'm big on the K.I.S.S. strategy (Keep It Simple Stupid) and have been looking for the most straightforward sump/refigium setup i can bulid/buy. I will be drilling an additional 2 holes in the tank to allow for 3 different returns from the sump.

Part B question is...
What pump will allow me to maximize the 600gph max rated flow for my built in aquarium overflow and allow me to have 3 return outlets in the tank?

, tons of overpriced pet rocks

Now thats a first. I have not seen live rock described as pet rock before.

I would have to say the real pro/con of the various sump setups would be that of your preference. Some go for the overly simplistic and others dive into a sump with mutiple chambers and a built in skimmer and refuge area, etc.

As far as the pumps go. In sump vs external. Some sumps have bulkheads built into them to accept an external pump. If your sump has this than an external pump is eaiser than a insump model as the insump model you would have to plug up the bulkhead. In addition most external designed pumps are air cooled where as in sump pumps are water cooled. If you have a large system or a large pump this can sometimes affect overall water temperature by a few degrees.

External pumps can come in all sizes but you usually find them in the larger capcity sizes aswell.

How long are these PC bulbs? Maybe 130W is a new type of bulb but last I knew the highest PC bulbs went where 96W at 3' long.

The number of return outlets isnt really going to be goverend by the pump as the pump will output the same flow to one or three outlets. You will of course need to build a return manifold for the three returns and the overall pressure of the return water will be lower but the flow rate will be the same or very close to the same as if you had only one return. You should measure the head height of your tank. This is the distance from the bottom of your sump to the top of your returns. Take this measurement and check the return pump's your looking at. Most will have a chart on them or will have info on the website about how much they will push at that head height. I would suggest you look at the Mag 9 pump first and size up/down from there. The mag 9 should push close to 600gph at 4' head with three returns. You can always fiture some flow loss when going around 90* bends and a return manifold will have at least 3 of these as you will likly build it with two T fittings and one 90 on the end. Put ball valves on each offshoot so you can cut off water to any of them should you so desire.

fishfreek said:
, tons of overpriced pet rocks

Now thats a first. I have not seen live rock described as pet rock before.

They're live aren't they? :D

How long are these PC bulbs? Maybe 130W is a new type of bulb but last I knew the highest PC bulbs went where 96W at 3' long.
They appear to run the full length of the 48' fixture. I haven't seen them in person yet, but my shipment from Big Al's arrives on Thursday.

http://www.current-usa.com/products/orbit.html

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30972;category_id=2281

I'm hoping that when time comes to replace the pc lamps, i can find replacements easily. I haven't seen replacement 130watt pc lamps anywhere yet.

The mag 9 should push close to 600gph at 4' head with three returns. You can always fiture some flow loss when going around 90* bends and a return manifold will have at least 3 of these as you will likly build it with two T fittings and one 90 on the end. Put ball valves on each offshoot so you can cut off water to any of them should you so desire.

So, would it be better if i find a pump that puts out my desired gph at my desired head height +20% or so and use ball valves to back off the flow to my tanks max? Or should i get something that closer matches my desired flow rate and run it wide open?

Also, are there any types/brands/models of pump that should be avoided completely?

One more thing...
Where can i find bulkhead fittings and that flexible loc-line hose outside of the aquarium stores? I hate paying 3 times more for those types of things when i know they have some practical use somewhere else and sell for less (I thought $12 underwater reef epoxy was different than $3 Home Depot underwater epoxy until i read the label and realized that it was the exact same stuff).

Thanks

Ah, this is from the big al's website
The Orbit Extreme uses the first ever 130 watt lamp.

From my experence with PC's you should expect to replace them once every 9 months. 12 months at the most you will get out of them before their color output and intensity really drop off from what they where when you got them.

For hosefittings and the like I recomment http://www.marinedepot.com

I would rather give you models of pumps I suggest vs ones I dont. I like mag and little giant. mag for submersible and little giant for extneral. Its good to match the flow of the pump at your head height as best you can with the overflow but sometimes you just wont get the right mixture and than the ballvalves are good. YOu should build youre return with a ball valve right above the pump anyway so you can cut the water off when/if you have to do pump repairs. If you do an external pump you should also put a ball valve on the inlet side of the pump to cut it off for when you do pump repairs.

Never restrict the flow going into the pump though. To throttle the pump restrict the output side.

Back
Top Bottom