Sump/pump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guns286

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've always used canister filters and am new to the sump filtration system so I need alittle help figuring out what size pump I need to get the water from the sump back to the tank. I have a 30g high tank which will be located on a stand, above the sump. The water will need to go up 4' to 5'. Hose/pipe size can be whatever is recommended. The sump itself is 24"w x 17"d x 7"h (sorry, did'nt compute the gallons) but should only be half full at any given time. Any suggestions on a size and brand?
Also, I thought of figuring out some type of undergravel, waterjet, return system for the water. That would assist in keeping the sand clean and help keep the water moving in the tank. Any thoughts? Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Sump and take size arent really a concern. You need to determine how much gph your overflow pulls out of the tank and have a pump to match it. Depending on wether you have a drilled tank or a hob overflow your probably going to have between 300 to 2000gph flowing out of the tank(2000 on the extreme end). what type of overflow do you have. and whats its rating

I'm not sure about the gph rating. I'm kinda winging this. I planed on using a hob Lee's specimine tank (large), as the overflow, and just modifying it. What determines the gph rating, the size of the overflow, or the size of the hole in it? By the way, using the lee's tank is just an idea. I have'nt bought it yet, so if you have a better idea (that is in the same price range) please let me know.
Also, any thoughts on the undergravel, waterjet, water return idea?

Back
Top Bottom