sump pump size and return?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcrack

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those of you who read my earlier post, I have purchased a new/used 90 gallon Clear for Life acrylic tank. It uses a HOB overflow system. I have decided to buy the double box system from Lifereef.com This overflow box handles up to 1200 gph.

Couple questions:

1. What pump should I put in the main tank? I will have soft corals. Size and brand recommendations?

2. I am planning on having sons help me convert a 30-40 gallon glass tank (long) to a sump/refugium. We've been using the ASM G2 protein skimmer in our existing 90 gallon so I'll probably do the same in this tank. What pump would you recommend for good turnover in the sump? Size and brand?

Thanks so much! I'd rather go slow and do it right so I'm all ears.

How many returns lines does this tank have. I have a 125 and it has two returns on it. I have a mag 12 on one and a mag 9.5 on the other. It creates plenty of flow in the tank. I really dont need a PH because of all the flow but I have one in my SPS corner for them. Also moving this thread to General Hardware and equipment discussion forum.

I agree with Neilan and Mike...go with the 9.5. That should give you good flow through the sump as well as keeping your overflow primed.

Congrats on the new tank. Brian was telling me that you and Pat were out shopping for a new tank. I hope your husband didn't stroke out. I'm looking forward to the build thread for the new tank!! Your sons do great work so I'm sure this will turn out nicely!

To answer to previous question, the tank isn't set up yet. So, I don't have the answer to the number of lines coming from the tank yet. I'm trying to learn from previous mistakes and get advice ahead of time. I just ordered some live rock. I have some base rock coming. It will be a few weeks since budget has to be the boss, like everything these days. Hubby didn't stroke out - just rolled his eyes and heaved a big sigh. I think he's given up.

I'll start shopping for a Mag 9.5 or 12. I have a smaller Mag that I use for mixing saltwater that will do to keep the liverock going until I figure out what I'm doing.

I also need to order the overflow system from lifereef.com since it's a used (4 months old) acrylic tank that needs a HOB overflow box. After spending days reading, it seems that this system may be worth the money. Hubby would stroke out if there was a flood! I am just waiting until tomorrow because lifereef is a one man show apparently and I want to talk to the guy. Unless anyone else has any other experiences?

Since this is my first real tank (pico and 29 gallon nano), I'm going to take pics of the process start to finish. Son #1 has promised to show me how to upload to photobucket and post. After he gets back from Vegas, that is - our graduation present to him!

I don't have experience with Lifereef but I have heard very good things about their products. I use Eshoppes overflows on my tank.

Funny that you should mention Eshoppes. I was going to ask if anyone had experience with their sumps/refugiums. The guys want me to build out of a glass tank but I found a pretty good deal on a Eshopps setup. Going with the glass tank is definitely cheaper but I have get the glass cut, talk one of these guys into drilling and helping me plumb and siliconing in the baffles. The other restriction I have is that I bought the aquarium with a stand, which is very nice but limits my space for a sump/refugium a bit. Because it has a center brace, I'm not sure I can work with much bigger than 20-30 gallons. I was hoping for more but after looking at dimensions, I'm afraid it will be too tight.

By the way, if anyone else is shopping Petsolutions.com has the Mag12 for $109 on sale. Seems like a good deal after comparison shopping.

Are their equal amounts of space on either side of the center brace? If so you could do a dual sump system like mine. A 20g tank on one side as a dedicated fuge and a 20g on the other as your return. Just an idea.

Just picked up the tank and set it up on the stand. There is more room under the stand than I expected. I have an Eshopps fuge coming so I'll see how that works. I like the idea of a separate return if need be. It's something I can add later. My list of "needs" is much longer than my "budget" at the moment. Already, there is lurking around my lights that are just sitting in the corner at the moment. Is it just my house or is anyone else familiar with the term "yoink" meaning "to steal, usually from a family member." HMMM.

Just picked up the tank and set it up on the stand. There is more room under the stand than I expected. I have an Eshopps fuge coming so I'll see how that works. I like the idea of a separate return if need be. It's something I can add later. My list of "needs" is much longer than my "budget" at the moment. Already, there is lurking around my lights that are just sitting in the corner at the moment. Is it just my house or is anyone else familiar with the term "yoink" meaning "to steal, usually from a family member." HMMM.

LOL!!!! I'm familiar with it...

Lights officially "yoinked" by Jimbo7 (one son) temporarily for his seahorse. As predicted!

Back
Top Bottom