Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sump Pump Vibration & Noise Issue - Requesting Solution

So, I'm using a new Supreme Mag Drive 7 (MD7) in a 20g long sump/fuge (DIY in construction). Have not yet installed the baffles.

While water testing all fittings and plumbing joints (drain and return), I noticed with the MD7 sitting directly on the glass bottom of the 20g that it's vibration traveled through the tank....then to the cabinet/stand...and became magnified both in sound (annoying) and in vibration - can actually feel the tank vibrating (slightly) when you place your fingers/hand on the top of the frame.

The pump is probably not defective, as in fact, it's fairly quiet. I believe that this is all about an "amplifying" effect of the plastic base directly on the glass, the glass directly on the wood and all that getting amplified by the cabinet because when I touch the pump, it's quiet and vibration is minor.

Question:

1) Best way to insulate/isolate the pump from the glass?

2) Suggestion for insulate/isolate the 20g from the cabinet, e.g., some sort of padding, pink insulation, or whatever.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Larry

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd say some type of rubber or firm sponge to insulate the pump. My pump is external so I'm no expert. However I do have a towel folded nicely under my pump. I would say to try two small 2x4s sump wide and a towel between the wood and sump. That way it's not on the stand directly and the towel will absorb alot of the vibrations. Just a thought.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey larry i have a piece of 1/2 filter foam under min mag 12 and i sometimes need to feel it to see if its on
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck View Post
hey larry i have a piece of 1/2 filter foam under min mag 12 and i sometimes need to feel it to see if its on
Do you have concerns that the filter foam will collect "stuff" and need to be periodically replaced?

I thought of using something like the non-slip carpet direcctly under the pump's base....but concerned that it will creates places for undesirable "stuff" (whatever that might be) to collect...requiring yet another maintenance chore.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
I'd say some type of rubber or firm sponge to insulate the pump. My pump is external so I'm no expert. However I do have a towel folded nicely under my pump. I would say to try two small 2x4s sump wide and a towel between the wood and sump. That way it's not on the stand directly and the towel will absorb alot of the vibrations. Just a thought.
I like the rubber idea, but found nothing thick enough on hand.

Between the 20g sump and cabinet bottom, I'm thinking of placing a section of hard 1" pink foam I have on hand - will also help insulate from a cold floor in the winter, but am concerned losing that inch of free space above the sump I might need for maintaining a skimmer down-the-road.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm thinking this is not a unique problem and a seasoned veteran might want to jump in here with an idea. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck View Post
A suggestion from Doug at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA has proven a good solution: take come sand and place it in a small Ziplock bag. Place that under the pump.

This worked at real well, as I hadn't yet opened the new bag of Special Grade Reef Sand.

Of course, replacing the impeller in the brand new but defective MagDrive 7 was also helpful. The original impeller had chunks missing! F&S sent me a free replacement.

Simple and cheap solution to use the sand and Ziplock. And, I also placed a 5/8" section of pink insulating foam (used in construction) under the sump. This serves a dual purpose: helps insulate the sump from a cold floor and totally deadens transmission of vibration from pump through the sump to the stand, etc. Only remaining vibration is transmitted via the plumbing return (which is minimal but there).

Tags
noise, pump, sting, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com