Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to FlyingL0
Sump Question

I have been cosidering building a sump for the past few weeks now. However I have a dumb question. How do I get the water from my tank to the sump in the cabinet below? I have a 46 gallon bow thats not drilled and I do not want to drill. I also want to make sure that if there is a power outage I dont flood my house.

47G Bow, 45# Live Rock, DSB, 10g Sump w/ LR Rubble, AquaC Remora Pro, 2 Maxijet 900(s), Clean Up Crew - (7) Scarlet Hermits, (2) Emerald Crab, (11) Turbo Snails, (3) Nassarius Snails, (1) Fighting Conch, (1) Sand Sifting Star, (1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

* (2) Yellow Tail Damsel
* (2) Percula Clow
FlyingL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are going to need to invest in a good overflow box or consider making a DIY version. Are you on any sort of budget ? Also take into account that you will need a return pump ( either external or submersible ) a protein skimmer if you dont already have one, and all PVC plumbing, valves etc... CPR makes an overflow box that should work pretty well for your setup. You may want to also add some more LR to the sump to aid in better biological filtration.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=CR1511

I am in no way affiliated with either CPR or Marinedepot, although both have FANTASTIC customer service.

Also make sure your return pump is going to pump a little more then what the overflow box takes in or you could flood.

I would suggest also adding a large check valve inline of the return pump to prevent any sort of back siphon in the event of a power failure. Also, they recommend an Aqua Lifter pump to suck the air out of the C siphon on the overflow box to also start the siphon back up after a power loss. I am in the process of doing all of this. Just got my new sump, CS100 overfill box, now i need a return pump and i chose the EV120 AquaC skimmer.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too can vouch for CPR, good service for me.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you have a picture of that overflow box and how it works. The one on that site is kinda poor.

47G Bow, 45# Live Rock, DSB, 10g Sump w/ LR Rubble, AquaC Remora Pro, 2 Maxijet 900(s), Clean Up Crew - (7) Scarlet Hermits, (2) Emerald Crab, (11) Turbo Snails, (3) Nassarius Snails, (1) Fighting Conch, (1) Sand Sifting Star, (1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

* (2) Yellow Tail Damsel
* (2) Percula Clow
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well basically 1 collection box sits in the tank, while it forms a C over the back of the tank and then into a lower box that would be plumbed to the Sump. I should have some detailed pictures later tonight when i get home. I have yet to install my box so ill show you a close up.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Perfect! I cant wait. Thanks

* (2) Yellow Tail Damsel
* (2) Percula Clow
Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure if this will help..

http://www.aquaplumbers.com/index.ph...9b51d33e9c4c69

GL!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some people are happy with CPRs and others have bad experiences with them. You do need a pump dedicated to it while you don't with overflows with U-tubes. The CPRs require a bit more technical acumen than the ones with U-tubes require but their benefit is that you can get more water through them if that what you envision for your reef. I have had two of these on my 120 gallon reef for well over a year and haven't lost the siphon in the U-tube once in either one:

http://www.aquacorals.com/ShopOverflows.htm

I didn't buy it from that site but the price is more or less right.

I would recommend them because they are as reliable as I could have hoped and operate trouble free.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

In a power outage what would i need to prevent my sump from overflowing?

* (2) Yellow Tail Damsel
* (2) Percula Clow
Old 06-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #10
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know what you'd do in the case of a CPR because I've never used one, but I assume it wouldn't flood so long as that dedicated pump continued to function, but someone that has one of those would have to say. I do know that in the case of the kind that I have there would be no flooding at all, so long as your sump has enough water volume available to accept the amount of water that there would be from the surface of the reef to the "teeth" (intake) of the overflows. In my case, it's one inch, so there isn't much water involved. In any event, your sump shouldn't fill to the top when it's working and there should be room available or you'd always be flirting with a flood no matter what kind of overflow you use.

Just to allay your concerns about flooding, I frequently turn off the power to my sump return pump which has the very same effect as any power outage would. I do this primarily when I want to target feed some of the coral. There's never been any problem and when I turn the pump back on the raised height of water that goes into the sump when I do this just returns to where it had been when the water is again circulated to the tank.

When I was first setting up my reef with a sump, which I had never had with any of my freshwater tanks, I was also concerned about the possibility of flooding if something might go wrong, but I have since learned that it's not something to be overconcerned about.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com