Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yippyyae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I just finished reading about sumps from the article posted on this site. Let me say that article was very helpful and very well written. I had heard of sumps being attached to a wet/dry filter system and having a skimmer set up in the sump. Can the sump be set up without a wet dry system? The article mentioned that the heater can also be put in the sump as well. Will this really maintain a steady temp in the tank? I'm converting my 55 gal FW tank to a SW FOWLR tank. I originally was going to use just a DSB and LR with a hang on protein skimmer. The idea of a sump to help regulate temp and water changes sounds great, but i'd like to avoid dropping the $$ for a wet/dry system.

Without getting too far off topic, I want to thank everyone in the forum for their help. I'm so glad I found this site. It really has made the idea of converting my tank much less daunting. Thank you all again for your help.

A sump can be setup without a wet/dry. The heater should work fine in the sump. Check out this site for loads of useful info especially on sumps if you plan on DIY

http://www.melevsreef.com/

I learned enough to build my own sump/fuge.

HTH
Stephen

Before you buy the skimmer, try and decide if you are going to use a sump or not. If you do buy a sump, you can use the skimmer in the sump instead of the HOB. yes, you can put the heater in there as well. The sump also makes it easier to do water changes.

You definitely don't need a wet/dry system to have a sump. Some people use regular (new) rubbermaid containers, 20-30 gal fish tanks, custom made sumps, and if you're handy, you can build your own. Stephen provided a great link to making your own sumps. HTH

Mike

Not the best solution, but the cheapest at the time...I turned my W/D into a sump. I took out the bioballs and poly filter from the tower side. I left the eggcrate in it and added chaeto on top of it. I use a clamp-on light fixture to add light witha 75W bulb.
Now it's full of snails, miniature starfish, and pods. The other side holds my HOB skimmer, heater, and return pump.

Hi all,

I have a protein skimmer that was given to me. It's a seaclone 150 (?). The instructions show a way to set it up in a sump. I'd like to set it up that way if possible. I loved the link Stephen provided. I'm definitely intrigued with possibly setting up a refugium in the sump. Thank you for your help it's greatly appreciated. I saved that link and I'll be looking that over in more detail this weekend. I think a DIY sump might be the way to go.

No_Floaters, i have the same idea about my wet dry filter. i just finished modding my wet dry filter. i added another compartment for the return water. i have two overflows from the main tank, one to the left side where i will fill up with some base rock, the other to the the right compartment where my skimmer is hung on. the skimmer output is into the samll section i created where my return pump is at. in the middle, is my refugium. hope this works, i have even had the time to test it yet.

Back
Top Bottom