Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrennanX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im a little confused as to the dynamics of a sump

I understand that water from the tank goes down to the sump, passes multiple chambers, then goes back into the tank.

What I am confused with is how. I see the ones with overflow compartments that go down into the sump, but i dont see where the water goes back in.

Also, i see on some tanks, there is no overflow, but it has a sump?

You can have a sump with out a built in overflow and built in return lines. To do this you simply have a hang on sump and have your return lines plumbed so they go up and over the tank sides. A simplistic approach on the overflow is to just have one or more drain holes drilled in the back of the tank below the water surface and put a bulkhead with strainer in the tank and plumb this to your sump.

If one has a choice as to what type of tank to purchase I would buy one with built in overflows. Most built in overflows also have bult in return plumbing that goes up thru the overflows aswell but if it does not its no big deal to plumb the return(s) up and over the back of the tank.

If one already has a tank and can have it drilled getting the bottom orback drilled (be sure its NOT tempered glass) than you can make your own built in overflow with glass or plexi. If thats not an option than you can get a hang on overflow. Which is most common is hard to say since there are so many alternitives to getting the same thing done.

Back
Top Bottom