Sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to make a 5 gallon sump what do j need to add to make it work? I have a small 20 gallon tank so I know I really don't need one but hopefully it will bring down my nitrates. Any suggestions, I plan on using glass.

How bad are your nitrates? A better water change schedule and doing more water may help. A 5g sump doesnt allow for much room for much of anything other than adding water volume.

A sump is different from a refugium. It sounds like this sump is or includes a fuge.

With a 20 gallon tank the water change schedule will have a bigger impact. This doesn't mean you shouldn't add the sump/fuge, but that at least for the short term the water changes need to be increased (more frequently, not larger).

What is the nitrate concentration?
What water are you using for topping off and water changes?
What fish do you have?
What are you feeding? How much? How often?
What is your current water change schedule?

Fishguy2727 said:
A sump is different from a refugium. It sounds like this sump is or includes a fuge.

With a 20 gallon tank the water change schedule will have a bigger impact. This doesn't mean you shouldn't add the sump/fuge, but that at least for the short term the water changes need to be increased (more frequently, not larger).

What is the nitrate concentration?
What water are you using for topping off and water changes?
What fish do you have?
What are you feeding? How much? How often?
What is your current water change schedule?

Trates are at 15

Topping and WC off with ro/di
I have two chrmois

Feeding some shrimp pellets once a day

Im doing about a 5 gallon water change every week

Try doing the water change 2-3 times a week.

Check the RO/DI, make sure it is 0TDS or single digits. Assuming it is not the source of nitrate can sometimes be the only issue.

I would feed New Life Spectrum. They would be ideal for the chromis and anything else you add later.

A sump is a tank that is under the display tank. The water overflows from the display and into the sump and is then pumped back up to the display. The sump houses all or at least some filtration and equipment. This may include a refugium, skimmer, heater, media reactors, automatic top off, automated dosing, etc.

A refugium is a 'safe refuge' that protects its inhabitants from livestock in the tank. In most cases it is used for nutrient export and houses macroalgae (usually chaetomorpha) but may use other things like certian corals (like Xenia spp.) and even clams (although thay look much better in the display). A refugium may be in a sump, hang on the back of the tank, and can even be an area inside the tank protected by something like needlepoint plastic or a specimen container with holes drilled in it.

Back
Top Bottom