Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What spacing should there be on the baffles David? I will be building a sump in a week or two and that would be great info to have.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with at least an inch between the baffles,also the first baffle needs the gap at the bottom then over the next and then below the third,this is because bubbles float to the surface of the water so this will help eliminate the chace of them going through the baffles.Having the baffles setup this is also a benefit when they are the last section before the return pump section because the water entering the return pump section doesn't cascade over the last baffles causing bubbles but enters below the baffle eliminating any bubbles.
Hope this helps.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

I built a sump last month. As David S says at least 1 inch is required between the first two baffles. This first baffle controls if you have bubbles in the rest of the sump.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have ball valves on both..I close my overflow one every time i clean my screen....been doing it for years....
Why is it bad?
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
I have ball valves on both..I close my overflow one every time i clean my screen....been doing it for years....
Why is it bad?
If a creature gets stuck in your overflow ball valve, without a backup emergency overflow pipe, tank overflows correct? At least to the point where the sump empties and your pump runs out of water.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
So basically my tank is a massacre, i believe the sump i bought was built wrong so i have a couple questions, i have alot of microbubbles in my tank and i cant get rid of it tried every possible problem and its no leaks or anything like that, so i narrowed it down to my pump being to strong or the design of my sump is bad. can anyone explain to me the proper way a basic sump is suppose to be set up the way this one is set up is one baffle seperates the protein skimmer and the filter sock (which deff is built wrong because their is hardly any room for the protein skimmer) then it flows into the refugium and then over a bubble trap into the return pump section which is bigger then the section the protein skimmer is in. Now i did have this reversed with the protein skimmer and the filter sock flowing in the larger section then straight over the bubble trap but that way the bubbles were worst. its a 20 gallon long sump on a 75 gallon tank any input would be awesome please.
Are you sure the micro bubbles are not coming from the protein skimmer? Did you try a sponge cover over the return pump to help? Can you post a pic of the sump area?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
I would go with at least an inch between the baffles,also the first baffle needs the gap at the bottom then over the next and then below the third,this is because bubbles float to the surface of the water so this will help eliminate the chace of them going through the baffles.Having the baffles setup this is also a benefit when they are the last section before the return pump section because the water entering the return pump section doesn't cascade over the last baffles causing bubbles but enters below the baffle eliminating any bubbles.
Hope this helps.

So if I am understanding this correctly, the first set of baffles has three but you are saying the second set has four? That way water cascades of the first baffle, under the second, over the third and under the fourth. Correct? While I have not looked to close in I thought most I have seen only had three.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

No sorry I didn't explain that well,just 1 set of baffles,but you can use them at either end of your sump.Just 3 pieces of glass/acrylic- under the first over the second and under the third
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
No sorry I didn't explain that well,just 1 set of baffles,but you can use them at either end of your sump.Just 3 pieces of glass/acrylic- under the first over the second and under the third

10/4 That is what I thought. LOL
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

wait david isnt it over the first under the second then over the third. im pretty sure thats how the bubble trap is because isnt the middle piece of the bubble trap 1 inch off the bottom?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com