sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wait david isnt it over the first under the second then over the third. im pretty sure thats how the bubble trap is because isnt the middle piece of the bubble trap 1 inch off the bottom?

No the way you have it can cause water to cascade into the return pump section causing bubbles which will enter the pump and come out as micro bubbles in the dt because the return pump sections water level drops due to evaporation,if you have it the way I've said that will never happen.This is a common mistake by sump builders.

ok i know this might be asking a little to much but this whole sump design thing is really confusing me any way if you have the time can u draw me a simple drawing about the proper way to have it look im just getting confused with all the baffles, this one over here that one their ya know lol. if you cant all good just cant really find any good info for a basic set up like mine

there's a few basic designs in my album

Couple of questions:

1. Any reason you wouldn't want to incorporate the bubble trap in figure 2 into the drain line to the sump or is it not needed because you have a bubble trap between the skimmer and the return pump.

2. What is the purpose of installing a tee in the return line and routing it back to the skimmer compartment. I have seen that several times but didn't understand the purpose.

I just finished building my DIY HOB Overflow and the sump is my next project. :)

Couple of questions:

1. Any reason you wouldn't want to incorporate the bubble trap in figure 2 into the drain line to the sump or is it not needed because you have a bubble trap between the skimmer and the return pump.

You need to have the bubble trap after the skimmer section in all cases,as long as it after it doesn't matter where it goes.

2. What is the purpose of installing a tee in the return line and routing it back to the skimmer compartment. I have seen that several times but didn't understand the purpose.

The Tee is there so if you have installed a pump which may be to powerfull for your overflow drain pipe you just open the valve to reduce the flow to the DT,you can also use this if you have a sump with a refugium section at one end but dont want the full flow from the drain line going to it.

I just finished building my DIY HOB Overflow and the sump is my next project. :)

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom