Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sump questions

I am getting a 55 or 40 gallon tank and want a sump I'm not new to saltwater so I know they usually go below the tank but it putting mine on a countertop mad was wondering if it's possible to do a sump next to the tank and if so what are the options

Old 05-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello please answer

Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

as long as the sump is lower than the display tank, I don't see why not. You are still utilizing gravity as the main means of moving water from the tank.
If you incorporate a refugium into the sump and use a little creative design concerning water flow through the sump, no reason why it can't be configured in such a way as to present the refugium section as another display.
That is exactly what I plan on doing with one either internal or on the outside of the main display, but either way it will be completely visible from a portion of the front and the one full side of the tank.
Why always hide the refugium out of site, there can be a lot of interesting things that would do well in a refugium.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

here is a diagram of what I was thinking may work for you;

Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You could use flex tubing as your spray bar attach it to the glass using silicone II

Tags
question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com