Sump size...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger

Aquarium Advice Regular
...for a 125 gallon FOWLR? Getting prepared to build my intro back into the hobby after a 25 year hiatus by asking questions and doing research. What considerations should go into determining sump size?

Thanks for helping!! I'm starting to get excited! :dance:

From what I've heard and read you wanna go with as big a tank as the stand can hold. I have a 125 and am building one from a 55 gallon. The bigger the better.

I think a 55g is the biggest you can get to fit under your stand. Search "dimension of aquarium" on google. You'll get the footprints of aquariums.

Yea the 55 is pretty snug under the tank but it works out pretty good cuz of it's length

I'd definitely go as big as you can go. If you're thinking about a 55g, I'd urge you to consider a 40G breeder. I have a 125 myself and went with a 40G as a sump. At first I was going to use a 55g, but decided to go for the 40g. It was wider to fit my skimmer, and best of all it had no middle brace. It's been a lot easier to work on my sump without that brace. Just a thought.

I looked at the 40 breeder but didn't think it would fit my stand. I'll have to give it another look. I like the depth and height of the 40 breeder.

55 or 40 Long?

Both are the same length and width, but the 40 Long is shorter. Would probably be easier to work on/in but the added height of the 55 would give more room for overflow.

Would the 40 Long have sufficient room for overflow or not?

Back
Top Bottom