Sump size for 210 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still in the planning process (and money saving process) for my 210 gal FOWLR build. I am planning on using the 55 gal tank I currently have as the refugium.

So my question is how big should the seperate sump tank be, would another 55 gal tank be sufficent? Petco is having a $1/gal sale and was going to jump on it.

Size is not really going to be an issue since I plan on having all my filtration piped into the basement with the DT on the first floor. With a 55g for a refugium and then another 55g for the sump, thats 110g for filtration on 210g tank. At what point would i be getting diminishing returns on a larger sump? Should I go bigger on the sump or would 55g be sufficient to fit the size of all the equipment I need for this size system?

Size is not really going to be an issue since I plan on having all my filtration piped into the basement with the DT on the first floor.

Just something I have noticed - If you put the filtration in the basement and the DT on the first floor, make VERY sure you will have enough pressure at the head to maintain good flow. As water travels up the pipe gravity will try to pull it down, causing a reduction in the gallons-per-hour your pump will be able to provide. Even a 4-foot lift can cause a reduction in flow, so something along the lines if 15 to 20 feet (assuming the filtration is directly under the DT) can be very significant. Make sure to plan accordingly.

The filtration will be directly under the DT in the basement, so the water will not have far to travel (other than vertically). I have been looking at pumps and will probably get one with the max head well into the 20+ foot range.

Back
Top Bottom