Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sump size for 210 gal

I am still in the planning process (and money saving process) for my 210 gal FOWLR build. I am planning on using the 55 gal tank I currently have as the refugium.

So my question is how big should the seperate sump tank be, would another 55 gal tank be sufficent? Petco is having a $1/gal sale and was going to jump on it.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

as big as you can get without causing yourself hassle with moving any equipment in and out.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Size is not really going to be an issue since I plan on having all my filtration piped into the basement with the DT on the first floor. With a 55g for a refugium and then another 55g for the sump, thats 110g for filtration on 210g tank. At what point would i be getting diminishing returns on a larger sump? Should I go bigger on the sump or would 55g be sufficient to fit the size of all the equipment I need for this size system?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel50 View Post
Size is not really going to be an issue since I plan on having all my filtration piped into the basement with the DT on the first floor.
Just something I have noticed - If you put the filtration in the basement and the DT on the first floor, make VERY sure you will have enough pressure at the head to maintain good flow. As water travels up the pipe gravity will try to pull it down, causing a reduction in the gallons-per-hour your pump will be able to provide. Even a 4-foot lift can cause a reduction in flow, so something along the lines if 15 to 20 feet (assuming the filtration is directly under the DT) can be very significant. Make sure to plan accordingly.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

The filtration will be directly under the DT in the basement, so the water will not have far to travel (other than vertically). I have been looking at pumps and will probably get one with the max head well into the 20+ foot range.

Tags
sump, sump size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com