Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: If you have a sump, have you ever had an overflow anywhere?
Yes 0 0%
No 10 100.00%
Other - Please Reply 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sump thoughts have me up in the middle of the night

The thought of having an overflow has me worried.

I thought I was set, I thought I was ready, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a sump with protein skimmer, heaters, etc inside instead of a canister and having everything in the tank.

I was going to buy a Fluval 404.... but then I kept thinking.. how would I add a protein skimmer after the fact? I'd have to use a hot, if I use that, then the tank has to sit out further from the wall. If the tank has to sit futher from the wall we have placement issues, if we have placement issues, etc...

Is there anything that can prevent overflow period?
Some magic tool or potion?

I would be buying a sump and not making my own. My 75g tank is not drilled nor is it reef ready. I am ordering the tank through a lfs and may consider asking them to change my order to a rr tank.

Any thoughts on this before I lose all my good marbles?

Old 02-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm scared of an overflow also and won't try it yet. The best thing I've heard is to use a float switch for the sump pump and hook the U tube in the overflow to the venturi input on a powerhead to help keep a syphon going. I'd love to have a sump/fuge, but just not brave enough yet.

The scariest thing I've heard recently is somebody's overflow losing siphon and since the heater was in the sump, the main tank's temp crashed and killed everything. I guess that's just a risk even with a drilled tank if the sump pump dies and you have to way to heat the water.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm wondering about using a ups so I don't have to worry about power outages.

What else can go wrong if I have a constant source of power supplied?

Pumps die, sure, but I can always have another on hand.... anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost
The scariest thing I've heard recently is somebody's overflow losing siphon and since the heater was in the sump, the main tank's temp crashed and killed everything. I guess that's just a risk even with a drilled tank if the sump pump dies and you have to way to heat the water.
My thought on the heater is to use two, I wondered about both in the sump or one in the sump and one in the tank.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

elzool - You would be better off with a drilled tank. Your LFS may do it for you. If not, you can typically take it to any glass shop and they will drill it for a fee. Normally it isn't more than $15 to drill the hole. See if the LFS can get you your 75 already drilled from the manufacturer if you don't want to bother having it drilled. A RR tank is much easier to deal with.

I currently have a non-drilled tank with a sump. I bought a CPR overflow 3 years ago ( C-Style overflow ) that I would not recommend. While it has never overflowed, there is a better overflow on the market that is much safer. It is made by LifeReef http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html. Most LFS stock them and if they don't you can buy them online.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a rr tank. If you set your sump up correctly you will not have to worry about power outages.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Get a rr tank. If you set your sump up correctly you will not have to worry about power outages.
How will I know if I set it up correctly? No water on the floor?

Any commercial units that can be recommended for a 75g tank would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How will I know if I set it up correctly?
Kill the power and see what happens. I kill the power to my sump every time I feed. It is set up correctly so water overflowing is not a issue.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

your getting things confused...
Overflow or overflow box is the item where people have had flooding issues.
A drilled tank or reef ready is totaly different then a Overflow box.
I have never heard of anyone having flooding issues with a RR or drilled tank. They only way it could happen is if you have you water level too high in the sump and the drain back from the tank overflows the sump. Or if a fitting is not glued or clamped right.
Most sumps have a line that is a fill line. Just make sure you get a sump rated/large enough for you tank.
Sump IMO is the best way to go with a drilled or reef ready tank. The overflow boxes work but they can lose syphon and thats where the flooding issue comes from.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
I kill the power to my sump every time I feed. It is set up correctly so water overflowing is not a issue.
See that makes too much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
your getting things confused...
Overflow or overflow box is the item where people have had flooding issues.
A drilled tank or reef ready is totaly different then a Overflow box.
This is where the internet is not so hot, you can read and read and read, but if you don't get specific information like this, you don't know. Since I've yet to experience this setup, I had no idea, but now, just based on you saying that, other things I've read make a lot more sense.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did what Brenden said. When I got my first big tank, I had the HOB overflow going to my wet/dry. I couldnt understand why it would not overflow if there was a power loss, whic worried me. So, I killed the power and watched what happened. As long as your sump is large enough for your tank, and not overfilled to begin with, you will not have an overflow. Try it.

Tags
night, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com