Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Sump time?

I have never done a sump before I have a 45G acrylic tank with a sealed top except a few holes but nothing big enough for a skimmer and filter and all that SOOOO is a sump a good idea? If so how big and what all do I need? Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A sump is always a good idea. It will add water volume to your system and give you a place to hide unslightly equipment like a skimmer and heaters. It also provides a nice place to run chemical filtration. Size will depend on the space you have under the tank and personal preference.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Im thinkin a 10 gallon maybe or possibly a 5? I never thought of having the heater in the sump thats awesome. So how do they even work haha. I really need help with this one guys.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
10g will work nice. You need a way to get water from your tank down into the sump. 2 ways to do that...drill the back of the tank or use a hang on back overflow. Not sure if you can even use an overflow if your tank doesn't have anyplace to hang it.
Then you need a pump in the sump to move the water back up into the tank. You can plumb it with pvc or clear tubing or a combo of both.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is a pic of the top...

Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Is that a slot in the back middle of the top? And if so, how wide is it and how wide is the area from the back of the opening to the back of the tank?
You may be able to get a hang on back u tube overflow in there.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been debating adding a sump/refugium to my 46 gallon bow for months. I have very little space under my cabinet like 11"width X 20" debth and 15" high. I was debating the CPR aquafuge refugium but It just doesn't hold much water. Then I was debating the ProClear aquatics wet/dry sump but then there is not really much space or lighting setup to grow macro algae. I think I will end up building my own refugium under the tank out of a 10 gallon tank eventually. I read somewhere that people often get confused of the purpose of a refugium that it should really be a display not a reverse photo synthesis device. sump or refugium or both hell I don't know been contemplating for some time now.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I have no idea what consists of a refugium honestly lol. All I know is I dont want anything showing in my tank except the life and powerheads. Yes that is a slot in the back its 12 1/2" long, 1 5/8" wide, and 3/4" from the back of the tank it had a power 40 filter on it. I thin it would work for the overflow but then again i have never seen one up close...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. As stated above you`ll need a way for the water to get down and a pump to pump it back up. I believe that sealed top is really going to be a pain. PH problems and getting into the tank if you have to.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The more I read about sumps and HOB overflows the more nervous I am about flooding... Also the return pump is always on??? Or no? Im confused. But I just found this and think its the way im going to go depending on what you guys think... are these a good choice? They look better than the U pipes or whatever you call them.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~CR1511.html

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com