Sump w/ Mechanical Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those of you with a sump, how many of you also use some form of mechanical filtration? What do you use and what do you like?

I seem to continually battle little what junk floating around in my tank. I have a sock on my drain and I clean that every couple of days but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

I have a 115g with a 30g sump. I am at about 8 times water exchange. With sand and rock, I hold about 100g of water. I have an Octopus 110 skimmer and a phosban reactor.

put some sponges in the sump to collect the dirt? i dont know sw so maybe i am way off.

Any ideas what's floating? Food? Sand?

If it's food: a) Feed less b) turn the pumps/powerheads off until feeding is over and any leftovers have settled.

If it's sand: adjust your powerheads. If you bought that baby power super fine sand... well....

I had a sock at one point but I got too lazy to clean it. I will on occassion slap my diatom filter on for a day if the water looks dull. So you could slap an HOB or canister on there for a day with a super fine pad in it.

Thanks... It's not food and the sand is not the fine stuff. I have used a sock and that helps. I guess I need to try to play with flow some more to get the stuff in the middle of the tank moving some so it can be sent down to the sump. I have also noticed that it attaches to the rocks and looks just a little fuzzy. Almost like very little cob webs. I did a water change just a minute ago and sucked a bunch off. Is there a white algea/fungas that could be growing??

Back
Top Bottom