Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sump w/no baffles- thoughts?

So it's about that time, the new build is beginning.

I have a 14g tank that I plan on using as a sump for my new 60g rimless cube. The sump measures 20 X 10.5 X 16 high so it can fit a skimmer.

My question is do I NEED to have baffles in the sump? I have a JBJ ATO that I will be installing so I can keep the entire sump water level stable all the time. I understand that it can cut back on micro bubbles but I don't anticipate having that issue and I have absolutely no clue on even where to begin in putting in baffles. LOL

I will also be using a single 4" filter sock on the input into the sump and I've noticed that helps with bubbles on my 90g.

So what's the verdict? I know some of you are gonna say you can do the baffles yourself but I really don't think so. I am an absolute slob with silicone and I doubt I'd measure the pieces I would need accurately.

Thanks everyone, please post what you think!!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im no sump expert but i dont think baffles are necessary.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't know why you would need them...

That being said Carey, it was REALLY easy to do... I was apprehensive about doing it, but it took me maybe 2 hours to cut and glue in all of them in mine... HD has all the tools/materials, and I spent maybe $30 on all of it.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you measure correctly home depot will cut it for you. Whether you use glass, acrylic, or plexiglass
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

This feels really strange, me offering you advice for a change... lol

What will you be doing with the sump? If you want to use it as a fuge then you will need them. Also, the skimmer may produce microbubbles and you may need to use a bubble trap to keep them from the return pump. I have some pics in my 90 gallon build thread so you can see what I did. Jim's 90 gallon tall build

These are some references I used to make mine.

baffles
I ended up siliconing mine in place but this is a neat idea.

Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1 - YouTube (part 1)

(part 2)

I bought plexiglas from Lowes and they cut it without charging me for the cuts (they do charge for some lumber cuts, but that doesnt apply here) As long as the cuts are square, they are willing to do the cuts. However, if their blades are worn, your cuts may not be exactly square (That happened to me).
Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just kinda thinking out loud here but the only reasons I really see to use baffles in a sump only design would be obviously for a bubble trap and water level(without ato).. also it might prolong your return pumps life with less debris making it into the section and maybe without the baffles your skimmer won't have as much contact time to the water diminishing its potential but now your talking bout fluid dynamics and ill leave that to people that get paid to think about it lol
Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't intend to make a fuge for this tank, just a berlin setup with skimmer and a biopellet reactor. I will be using filter socks so I don't intend on any extra debris in there and the skimmer, from my experience with it in my 125g doesn't produce much in the way of micro bubbles.

So in the end it should be ok then guys? Those baffles don't have any other purpose do they?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i know this thread is kind of old, but how did u make out with no baffles carey? Im thinking of not bothering with baffles in my sump
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't have baffles in my sump on my 150. It came with a baffle but it was lose and I'd put it in and it wouldn't do anything since there were never any bubbles so I just took it out. Everything works fine.
Mr.Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I think you can make it work with no baffles as long as you get the water level right for the skimmer. I recently took all baffles except one out of my sump and it's perfectly fine.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com