Sump w/no baffles- thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's about that time, the new build is beginning. :)

I have a 14g tank that I plan on using as a sump for my new 60g rimless cube. The sump measures 20 X 10.5 X 16 high so it can fit a skimmer.

My question is do I NEED to have baffles in the sump? I have a JBJ ATO that I will be installing so I can keep the entire sump water level stable all the time. I understand that it can cut back on micro bubbles but I don't anticipate having that issue and I have absolutely no clue on even where to begin in putting in baffles. LOL

I will also be using a single 4" filter sock on the input into the sump and I've noticed that helps with bubbles on my 90g.

So what's the verdict? I know some of you are gonna say you can do the baffles yourself but I really don't think so. I am an absolute slob with silicone and I doubt I'd measure the pieces I would need accurately.

Thanks everyone, please post what you think!!

Im no sump expert but i dont think baffles are necessary.

I don't know why you would need them...

That being said Carey, it was REALLY easy to do... I was apprehensive about doing it, but it took me maybe 2 hours to cut and glue in all of them in mine... HD has all the tools/materials, and I spent maybe $30 on all of it.

As long as you measure correctly home depot will cut it for you. Whether you use glass, acrylic, or plexiglass

This feels really strange, me offering you advice for a change... lol

What will you be doing with the sump? If you want to use it as a fuge then you will need them. Also, the skimmer may produce microbubbles and you may need to use a bubble trap to keep them from the return pump. I have some pics in my 90 gallon build thread so you can see what I did. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/jims-90-gallon-tall-build-195425.html

These are some references I used to make mine.

baffles
I ended up siliconing mine in place but this is a neat idea.

Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1 - YouTube (part 1)

Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 2 - YouTube (part 2)

I bought plexiglas from Lowes and they cut it without charging me for the cuts (they do charge for some lumber cuts, but that doesnt apply here) As long as the cuts are square, they are willing to do the cuts. However, if their blades are worn, your cuts may not be exactly square (That happened to me).

Just kinda thinking out loud here but the only reasons I really see to use baffles in a sump only design would be obviously for a bubble trap and water level(without ato).. also it might prolong your return pumps life with less debris making it into the section and maybe without the baffles your skimmer won't have as much contact time to the water diminishing its potential but now your talking bout fluid dynamics and ill leave that to people that get paid to think about it lol

I don't intend to make a fuge for this tank, just a berlin setup with skimmer and a biopellet reactor. I will be using filter socks so I don't intend on any extra debris in there and the skimmer, from my experience with it in my 125g doesn't produce much in the way of micro bubbles.

So in the end it should be ok then guys? Those baffles don't have any other purpose do they?

Thanks everyone!

i know this thread is kind of old, but how did u make out with no baffles carey? Im thinking of not bothering with baffles in my sump

I don't have baffles in my sump on my 150. It came with a baffle but it was lose and I'd put it in and it wouldn't do anything since there were never any bubbles so I just took it out. Everything works fine.

I think you can make it work with no baffles as long as you get the water level right for the skimmer. I recently took all baffles except one out of my sump and it's perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom