Sumped, ProClear 200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BambooJohn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After several years being tankless, I decided to pick up a 125 gallon off of craigslist. The previous owner had never successfully set it up and passed on all the gear included. I have never seen a wet/dry in my life, but after cleaning everything and downloading the info, I figured out I have a pro clear 200 minus some pieces I think I can order. I will be planting for the first time in this freshwater tank and eventually stocking mbuna with black sand as a substrate.

1. Even though I have never used a sump, I like the idea. Any comments on the pro clear 200?

2. I think I can get all missing pieces for around $60 which doesn't seem bad considering the unit price. I am missing some parts to the skimmer, I don't know if I can order these, ok to by-pass?

3. if I bypass the skimmer, what other filtration gear would I want consider for this tank size?

4. I happened to pick up a marine 100 protein skimmer barely used for cheap. It seems too short for my sump's first chamber or does this matter?

If it's freshwater, a skimmer will be useless. Also, just a though, you have a beautiful big tank, why not go with saltwater?

In that case, I'd try to sell your skimmer (assuming you mean protein skimmer and not skimmer box - more commonly called an overflow to prevent confusion) and roll on. Protein skimmers don't do much at all in freshwater, I think because of FW's lower density.

As you noted, sumps are nice since you can pretty easily access them for maintenance without shutting them off as you would a canister and they are vastly superior to HOBs IMO. Lots of room for media if needed or biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom