Sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am still a little confused about the process of the sump and also, I wouldn't know how to set up the sump once i bought it anyways....the most i am confused about is the overflow tank on the outside and inside :? . :!: If i can get some help trying to get the general information about hooking up the sump i would feel a lot better..

also, i read the article about sumps..but i still am missunderstanding a lot of the things.... I also read the kids DIY article in the gitting started forum...again, that helped me to but i need a better understanding.... I think it would help If someone that bought and set up a sump could explain to me how they set theirs up(maybe with pics would help a little better too.)...but everyones help would be appreciated...so if you would try your best to help me :D

OK, I think you get the jist of the sump being a place tha gets water from the tank and in turn feeds it back. In this process you get added water volume, a place for equipment, and possibly a refugium.

The hang-on-back overflow works via siphon. There is a small box inside the tank and a larger box outside the tank. A U-tube is connected between the two, over the back of the tank. A siphon is started draining water from the tank to the sump. Once in the sump the water is treated (filtered/skimmed/heated/cooled) the water is then returned to the tank via a pump.

To prevent overflows in either the tank or the sump be sure to have plenty of room in the sump for excess water in the event of a power outage and the pump stops returning water. The siphon will continue to drain water until the water in the tank is lowered below the inside box of the overflow unit. Hopefully the siphon itself does not break and will start siphoning again once power is restored. To prevent an overflow in the tank use an overflow rated higher than your pump and control the flow of your pump via a ball valve in the return plumbing above the pump.

Clear as mud?

HTH,
R

Back
Top Bottom