Sumps For Freshwater Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

engine49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I've been lurking the forums for about a month now getting a lot of great info. This is a really great, friendly forum. Needless to say I've finally gotten around to registering.

I've returned to fishkeeping after a long hiatus. My family always had fish when I was younger and now that I've moved out I have the means (and room) to get back into the hobby.

My question is about using an overflow and sump setup for a freshwater aquarium. I've been pondering this for quite a while now. Does anyone have any experience with "integrated" freshwater systems? I'm not opposed to other means of filtration, I have hob's and canisters on my other tanks. It would, however, be nice to have the heater and other equipment hidden in the stand. I dont mind any extra work in the initial setup, I enjoy working on my tanks. My plan is to set up a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank. I found a store that has really good deals on pre-drilled AGA's just north of me over the weekend so that got me interested again. Anyway any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Certainly...I have done it before and will do it again (plus I have set-up a number of systems for other people)....sumps and wet/drys are a great way to go, particularly with tanks over 100 gallons. What do you want to know?

Just the overall viability of such a setup I guess. The people at the lfs looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about prices for a predrilled tank for freshwater, though they've proved to not be the most knowledgable in the past... Any links to freshwater wet/dry systems would by great. Most of what I can find is related to saltwater. Thanks again.

To be fair, other than the salinity of the water running through it (and the possible difference of a skimmer on the marine system), they are identical....you can even do a FW refugium, if you like. One of the reasons I love FW sump systems (and yes, they are very viable) is that in a display tank, they make almost all the mechanics disappear and keep things like heaters (particularly before the advent of the titanium) away from the fish....plus, if you are working with a fish that is a big escape artist (like a ropefish or eel), you can almost completely seal the aquarium top quite easily.

In other words the links that you have looked at that had salt water setups with sumps will be a great resorce to use.. you wont need a skimmer so just leave it out of the sump....

On both of my sump setups I have set them up as oversize cannister filters.

The water flows down through mechanical (sponge and plastic bioballs) and then through baffles into a biological (Alfagrog) and then on to the return pump. If I'm using chemical (like Phoszorb) I throw it in the baffles between mechanical and biological.

-Edited for appalling spelling.

Back
Top Bottom