SunSun 404B UV bulb - worth replacing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I understand it UV bulbs do not last long. Not sure what "long" is though.

I also understand that $10 bulbs (which this approximately is) are usually not any good, regardless.

And I suspect the flow rate past it is too high regardless.

Is all that correct?

Is there any point in replacing them?

In fact, would it be better to remove the bulb and case, and seal off the socket, giving more room for flow through the column, and not bother with the UV?

Anyone done that?

If you don't have cloudy or green water do nothing. Leave it's deadness there.

I'm with fatboy... i have a 304b, the uv seems to have worked great in clearing a green tank.. turned it off though and only really run it for a day after a wc. You could replace it for the same reason or just axe it if nothing is amiss??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you think it actually works?

I don't have observations to say it doesn't, just most things I have read say it won't do anything.

So you think it actually works?

I don't have observations to say it doesn't, just most things I have read say it won't do anything.

Call it a coincedence.. my tank was green ggreeeen.. hooked up the sunsun and it wasn't green the next day???

It definitely kills green water algae, but that's about all it'll do. As mentioned, if you aren't having an issue, I would just leave it alone.

Well, if it really works, perhaps I should turn it off until I have green water, save it for when I need it, rather than continually replacing it.

Well, if it really works, perhaps I should turn it off until I have green water, save it for when I need it, rather than continually replacing it.

Funny thing... i had the tank running fine for months... added 2 small fish and it sent the thing all whacky? Guess the longer they run the more susceptible to small change they become? It's a nice ace in the pocket lin.. if it's there why not leave it functional, I'm guessing you can swing the added cost;)

Back
Top Bottom