Sunsun canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjones376

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone used one and what's the pros and cons I know it's a knock off but do they really work?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They work and they are dead silent. I had 2 - 302's on my 75 for a little over a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good to hear i bought a 303b for my 55gal due to the 2 hobs not getting it clear

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had one for over a year very quiet and works great. Always a surprise when I go to clean it and see how much gunk it has kept out of my tank

MuDbUcKeT72. mts sufferer

I got 3 of the 404B's when I got a big tank (one went on an old 55G that needed more circulation).

They aren't quite silent but they are quiet, LOTS (I mean LOTS) of room for media.

The 404B actually moves about 270 gph, though rated at something like 525. I think all manufacturers lie about flow rate, I know Fluval does, my 306B is nowhere near its rated flow either.

My point is buy one bigger than you think you need. Or buy two if you have a larger tank. Especially since they are cheap.

But so far they do exactly what I wanted. The inlet/outlet stuff is a bit small and cheap, but workable. On 2 of the 3 I ended up making my own intake and outlet spray bar from PVC because I wanted something special, but the 3rd has their stock stuff and it works OK.

But quite pleased with the overall filters. They are VERY easy to clean (though the 404B is pretty heavy full of water). Their connection point is recessed, so I do not spill any water when I disconnect (unlike fluval which always squirts out about a quarter cup or so). The pump itself is easily accessed to clean.

There are no bells and whistles, the manual stinks, and you'll have to make or buy media for it, most do not deliver any with it. But I bought a couple liters of Matrix, and some bulk sheet media and cut out my own. Works fine, and dirt cheap (well, not the matrix, but that lasts forever).

I have no idea if the UV actually does anything -- it glows, but it's pretty small for the (even lower real) flow rate.

I have no regrets.

Hello,
I have a sunsun HW-304A on my 27 gallon cube fish tank. It has been on there since last Christmas, so more than 10 months now.
I can tell you this:
1. DEAD SILENT. I have to put my ear up against it because I can't tell if it is on or not.
2. Absolutely tons of media room.. I haven't filled mine up all the way, but I bought a roll of media and I've got 3 trays full of those filter pads (3-4 per tray) and the remaining tray with the bag of (included) ceramic rings. I need to buy a tub of seachem matrix to fill it with.. But because it's working so beautifully I don't want to fix what isn't broken..
3. As I have the 'A' version, it does not have a UV bulb. Here are a few things I have heard about them:
-Only 9w, therefore it does little to no good with the flow rate of this filter.
-If used for a long period of time, will cause degradation of the filter media baskets, as they are not UV resistant plastic
4. Tubes.. I would replace the tubes they give you with OPAQUE (black / non-see though) ones, as the green ones they provide are nearly identical to the eheim ones, they let light throw and now there is a ton of algae growing inside them (I haven't bothered to clean them, but if I ever get a new tank and bought a new filter, I'd buy black tubes to replace)

Overall: It is great for the money, you will not regret it.

Hope this helps,
-1998golfer

Hello,
I have a sunsun HW-304A on my 27 gallon cube fish tank. It has been on there since last Christmas, so more than 10 months now.
I can tell you this:
1. DEAD SILENT. I have to put my ear up against it because I can't tell if it is on or not.
2. Absolutely tons of media room.. I haven't filled mine up all the way, but I bought a roll of media and I've got 3 trays full of those filter pads (3-4 per tray) and the remaining tray with the bag of (included) ceramic rings. I need to buy a tub of seachem matrix to fill it with.. But because it's working so beautifully I don't want to fix what isn't broken..
3. As I have the 'A' version, it does not have a UV bulb. Here are a few things I have heard about them:
-Only 9w, therefore it does little to no good with the flow rate of this filter.
-If used for a long period of time, will cause degradation of the filter media baskets, as they are not UV resistant plastic
4. Tubes.. I would replace the tubes they give you with OPAQUE (black / non-see though) ones, as the green ones they provide are nearly identical to the eheim ones, they let light throw and now there is a ton of algae growing inside them (I haven't bothered to clean them, but if I ever get a new tank and bought a new filter, I'd buy black tubes to replace)

Overall: It is great for the money, you will not regret it.

Hope this helps,
-1998golfer

I have to agree my tubes are filled with alge also

I have to agree my tubes are filled with alge also

Yeah, but I've got clear tubes on one in my office and the tubes run in the dark behind a file cabinet to the filter. Also filled with algae. I've also got PVC feeds and spraybars, also filled with algae.

Maybe if you had these tubes in bright sun, I really wonder if with regular room light it makes much difference.

Mine are in a pretty dark area as well I guess better in my tubes then in the display

Back
Top Bottom