Sunsun canister noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I grabbed a couple sunsun canisters for a tank and set them up a couple days ago. They're right next to each other. One is totally silent and the other, after about a day and a half is making a sort of buzzing/vibrating sound. Reminds me a bit of a faulty ceiling light. Ya know when they flicker and make a sort of buzzing sparky sound? I don't think it's an electrical problem with the filter though. Does anyone know what it could be and if I can fix it?

I checked the impeller and it seems ok and I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. Now that I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, it makes what I would consider a normal filter hum. Quiet, tolerable, though still a noise which is fine, but I find it interesting that the identical filter right next to it is absolutely silent. When I unplugged the buzzing filter, I couldn't even tell there was another filter on in the room. I put my head right next to the running filter and wondered if it was even running lol. It's only been a couple minutes since the buzzing stopped, so I'm not sure if it'll come back, but I'd still love to know the possible cause in case it does!

It might just be cavitation. Try gently rocking the filter. Air can get trapped in there. If that fixes it and it's a repeated issue (between opening the filter) then you're probably dealing with a crack somewhere in the plumbing, sucking in air.

+1.

Any crack that lets in air will let it build up and eventually will usually kick it ot as kind of a burst. So if it's kind of an erratic noise I would suspect air.

I've got three of them and they aren't completely consistent. In a very quiet room the loudest I can hear from a few feet away, the quietest I have to be right up on it. I haven't put much time into trying to find out why. Mine sounds like water rushing more than mechanical, but not sure.

The buzzing one has actually been much better. I guess I did just need to unplug it, take out the impeller, put it back in and start it up again. It's very quiet now. But now the OTHER one, the one that has been totally quiet, has started making noise. It does sound like an air problem. It sounds like it kicks and bursts out water through the spray bar. I think the intake bar might be too low though, so I'm going to try removing a couple extender pieces, cleaning the intake, and see if I can get both of these filters quiet lol

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Just tilt it back and forth a few times, should free the bubbles. Mine did that last night after a wc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

. I think the intake bar might be too low though, so I'm going to try removing a couple extender pieces, cleaning the intake, and see if I can get both of these filters quiet lol

The joints in those pipes that come with them are not air tight. I find that the U has to go over the tank and down into the water before the first joint.

I also found that if I used the skimmer that comes with it (at least with mine) it sucks enough air to spit it back out, so I gave up on the skimmer.

One nice thing if you have the clear vinyl is you can shine a light into it and (usually) see bubbles, make sure they are originating at the intakes and not at a joint on the canister.

I'm a big fan of the skimmer, but it can be touchy. Just takes practice getting it right.

I'm a big fan of the skimmer, but it can be touchy. Just takes practice getting it right.

I actually want to use it, but my issue is that where I want it is not where I want the intake itself.

I like having the spray bar near a tank end, aiming the other way, then put the intake behind the spray bar. Water flows on the surface away from the bar, dives at the tank end to the bottom, and flows down low to return to the intake. Circulates the whole tank. But since scum collects at the end the spray bar blows toward, that doesn't work with the skimmer.

But that's all a bit off topic, sorry....

I actually want to use it, but my issue is that where I want it is not where I want the intake itself.

I like having the spray bar near a tank end, aiming the other way, then put the intake behind the spray bar. Water flows on the surface away from the bar, dives at the tank end to the bottom, and flows down low to return to the intake. Circulates the whole tank. But since scum collects at the end the spray bar blows toward, that doesn't work with the skimmer.

But that's all a bit off topic, sorry....

Tried to pm you but no? Check out the ehiem skim 350, great little skimmer, short money. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run 2 canister systems - one spraybar is mounted on the side glass and the other is mounted in the opposite corner, vertically. I use the skimmer on that one, opposite of the one pushing water across the length of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom