Sunsun canisters making noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had the two sunsun canisters on the 60 gallon in my bedroom for just about two years. They've been dead quiet since about the second day I got them.
**Both still work at filtering, they just make a really annoying buzzing sound.**
A couple days ago just one of them started making a rough buzzing sound. I unplugged it and plugged it back in - sound still there. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubricated the impeller, checked for cracks in the plumbing, and turned it on. Sound was still there. Made sure to get all the air out, but the sound wouldn't stop, so I just unplugged it and went back to bed (it was about 3 in the morning). I've only got an angelfish and a few bloodfin tetras in this tank right now, so I don't really need to filter 400+ gallons an hour. The other filter was still running and still very quiet...until last night/this morning. The second filter started doing the same thing...again at about 3am. I did all the same things as I did with the first filter with the same result. The sound is still there.

I'm not sure what to do now. I don't know what the problem could be. The result I get most often while googling is a a post I wrote myself just after getting these two filters about 2 years ago lol. The sound isn't the same though. The sound I compared it to was a faulty ceiling fan and the problem was just air bubbles I think, but this is more like a loose laptop fan. It's a rough buzzing sound. I don't want to say grinding because it's not that bad, but there's a gravely sound to the buzzing. Air does not appear to be the problem.

Again, both filters still work,but this is all happening about 4 feet from my bed, keeping me from sleeping and even giving me one hell of a headache as I sit here on my bed typing this, so any suggestions would be super appreciated!

The sounds might be made by the motors vibrating against another surface. I had this problem and it's definitely annoying. If not that, then it might be the motor. Try and move the motors if they are against a wall or something. Other than that I don't know.

The sounds might be made by the motors vibrating against another surface. I had this problem and it's definitely annoying. If not that, then it might be the motor. Try and move the motors if they are against a wall or something. Other than that I don't know.

I agree with Nils with everything he said but he missed one vital part the
impeller This is the first thing I would check , 2 years running 24/7
365 days a year ,
I replace impellers every 6 months weather it needs to be or not this saves you the head ach of failing , most motors are fixed and don't have moving parts as it has a magnet that drives your propeller , the only moving part is the propeller , I've encountered failing propellers due to sheered shafts and improper installation from cleaning maintenance ,

Back
Top Bottom