Super skimmer model 65

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean using the clear plastic tube instead of the one that's on the elbow that comes into the box?

Ok cool thanks!

What about that extra tubing they give you? That long clear one? Whats that for?

I've got the same skimmer in my sump. Took 3 full days to break in. I don't use the bubble trap anymore. The valve between the pump and elbow I have set to about 7/8 open maybe a touch less. I found out that if you cut it back to half you'll get very little air suction. I'll adjust the start of micro bubble about 1 inch above the red ring that holds the collection cup maybe 3/4 on an inch. Keep the red knob all the way open and wait a day then adjust the red knob to the type of skim you want. I sometimes get a cup of dark stuff a day or two. It's on a 75 reef med bio load with 29 gallon sump. Aquac ev-180 will be in Wednesday woo hoo!

I'd take pics but I'm on day 2 of a Pimafix med and insane bubbles.

CloudStrife said:
Ok cool thanks!

What about that extra tubing they give you? That long clear one? Whats that for?

The long piece goes from pump to elbow in a in-sump configuration. Short piece goes from valve attached to pump to elbow

Reefnoob84 said:
The long piece goes from pump to elbow in a in-sump configuration. Short piece goes from valve attached to pump to elbow

He is talking about the extra clear air hose that came with it

Reefnoob84 said:

So since its on the tank I don't need it?

CloudStrife said:
So since its on the tank I don't need it?

If its for the air it doesn't matter but if it's hanging then no

This is how I shut it off the other day. I didn't make any adjustments for at least 3 weeks

The outlet piece was for splash didn't make any difference but for your pics yours is def to short it should be an inch above your white pad in the diffuser.

Is the mixing chamber all bubbles or just the top half?

Just the top half, no bubbles. I can't get the cup off to empty anything. I think I tightened the ring way too hard.

Did you use PVC pipe instead of the one they gave you? Thats probably what I will have to do.

And do you think I can use that stuff they sell at hardware stores to loose very tight jars?

CloudStrife said:
Just the top half, no bubbles. I can't get the cup off to empty anything. I think I tightened the ring way too hard.

Did you use PVC pipe instead of the one they gave you? Thats probably what I will have to do.

And do you think I can use that stuff they sell at hardware stores to loose very tight jars?

Ok so this has happened to me as well!! I can usually get it loose by trying to tune the actual collection cup itself to start it. I put just a tiny little bit of vasoline to lube the o ring.

3/4" PVC pipe fits perfect no need to glue it just pressure fit it. A good tip to figure out depth is try to get the end of the pipe about an inch which is about the length of your finger from the nail to the first joint. That way you can adjust the cup with out trying to guess where it is.

Ok just the tip half has bubbles. That's good. If the valve piece keeps popping out call coralife and have the warranty a new one. Until then get it close to open but not full and put a zip tie on it to keep it on till the new one arrives

Also the skimmer body will turn in the holder. So don't worry about snapping off the clip that attaches it to the tank unless your the hulk. How long have u had the skimmer?? If just a couple days return it and get a better one. I bought mine in the very beginning of the hobby and I regret wasting my money on it. I even got it nib for 100$ on sale and it does a decent job IMO but there's better for not much more $. GL

Reefnoob84 said:
The outlet piece was for splash didn't make any difference but for your pics yours is def to short it should be an inch above your white pad in the diffuser.

Is the mixing chamber all bubbles or just the top half?

This will also send lots of bubbles in to your tank, trust me I had it hanging on my tank for a while. When it is in the sump the bubble traps solve this issue.

What would be a better one to get? I can't have one that's really big though since I'm next to a wall and if my store doesn't have it, will I be ok without one for a week or so?

There's a lot out there. Im waiting on an ev-180 that's overkill but when I step up I won't have to spend more on another one. Ive always heard good things about aquac. That's what lead me to the 180. I'm pretty sure they have hob skimmers not too sure how they perform

Do you think a 125 gallon rated would be too much for my 45 gal tank?

I wouldn't say it's too big but it might only skim for a couple of days a week but you know any problems in the future you can take the skimmer size out of the equation

Back
Top Bottom