Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

The outlet piece was for splash didn't make any difference but for your pics yours is def to short it should be an inch above your white pad in the diffuser.

Is the mixing chamber all bubbles or just the top half?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just the top half, no bubbles. I can't get the cup off to empty anything. I think I tightened the ring way too hard.

Did you use PVC pipe instead of the one they gave you? Thats probably what I will have to do.

And do you think I can use that stuff they sell at hardware stores to loose very tight jars?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudStrife
Just the top half, no bubbles. I can't get the cup off to empty anything. I think I tightened the ring way too hard.

Did you use PVC pipe instead of the one they gave you? Thats probably what I will have to do.

And do you think I can use that stuff they sell at hardware stores to loose very tight jars?
Ok so this has happened to me as well!! I can usually get it loose by trying to tune the actual collection cup itself to start it. I put just a tiny little bit of vasoline to lube the o ring.

3/4" PVC pipe fits perfect no need to glue it just pressure fit it. A good tip to figure out depth is try to get the end of the pipe about an inch which is about the length of your finger from the nail to the first joint. That way you can adjust the cup with out trying to guess where it is.

Ok just the tip half has bubbles. That's good. If the valve piece keeps popping out call coralife and have the warranty a new one. Until then get it close to open but not full and put a zip tie on it to keep it on till the new one arrives
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also the skimmer body will turn in the holder. So don't worry about snapping off the clip that attaches it to the tank unless your the hulk. How long have u had the skimmer?? If just a couple days return it and get a better one. I bought mine in the very beginning of the hobby and I regret wasting my money on it. I even got it nib for 100$ on sale and it does a decent job IMO but there's better for not much more $. GL
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefnoob84
The outlet piece was for splash didn't make any difference but for your pics yours is def to short it should be an inch above your white pad in the diffuser.

Is the mixing chamber all bubbles or just the top half?
This will also send lots of bubbles in to your tank, trust me I had it hanging on my tank for a while. When it is in the sump the bubble traps solve this issue.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

What would be a better one to get? I can't have one that's really big though since I'm next to a wall and if my store doesn't have it, will I be ok without one for a week or so?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's a lot out there. Im waiting on an ev-180 that's overkill but when I step up I won't have to spend more on another one. Ive always heard good things about aquac. That's what lead me to the 180. I'm pretty sure they have hob skimmers not too sure how they perform
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you think a 125 gallon rated would be too much for my 45 gal tank?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #39
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't say it's too big but it might only skim for a couple of days a week but you know any problems in the future you can take the skimmer size out of the equation

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com