Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sure this has been answered...many times

New Guy Card.....

I have a kit in a box 30 gal set-up. The hang on back filter that came with it is an Aquatech...seems fine, only a few deaths over the years but I feel like I am ready to get just a little cleaner/clearer environment. I also want to increase my fish density a little.

Any thoughts from more experienced folks on the next grade up (or plus one) for a hang on power filter?

Whisper vs. Aquaclear for example?

Also how about going up one size...40 gal filter for 30 gal tank?

Barrydalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I'd recommend the AquaClear 50 hands down. If you are more towards the overstocked side then I might go with the AquaClear 70. They have large media baskets (which is a plus) and run very quiet. I personally run mine with polyfiber and a bag full of those bioballs or whatever they call them.

meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ditch the HOB and get an external canister filter.
135 litre (35 US gallons) 6 Black Widow Tetra; 3 Mollies; 3 Bronze Cory; 1 Pygmy Cory; 6 Gold Barbs
27 litre (7 US gallons) 6 Guppies.
Mark Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
+1 on a an Aquaclear; I do like them. If you have some space, a canister filter is good too.
trackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
AquaClears rule. Definitely step up to the AC50 or the AC70. A good rule of thumb is to take the manufacturer's rating and cut it in half.

My tanks and filters:

40B - AC110
29g - AC70
20L - AC50 with AC70 impeller
20H - AC30 with AC50 impeller
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

If you're going to stick with a HOB then I agree the aquaclears are probably the way to go. If you're serious about stepping it up, though, as said above look into canister filters. Much better IME for filtering a tank.
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I use an aquaclear 110 and think its great. What ever you do upgrade to I'd leave the old filter on so the new one can get broke in or even better leave them both on
southern guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Yet another vote for AquaClear. I'd go with the AC70. I have an AC50 on one of my 10g's and an AC20 on the other. The one with the 50 stays super clear

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I love my aquaclears they keep my tanks sooooo clear and clean.Also they are super quiet!Just my input.

PaintedCarcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com