SW Tank with drilled bottom change to FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Getting a 90G bowfront and stand tomorrow but it has a drilled hole in the bottom where the overflow built in box slightly off center rear.

What to do with that bottom hole?

Go to SW store and pick up a "plug" to screw into the space?

If so how likely it will leak?

Anyone with some suggestions, experiences, ideas???
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
like this kind

Bowfront Megaflow Central - Oceanic Systems Inc

looks like this one
https://www.pupdaddy.com/central-oc...4OeBMFEV90tuRQcXMDqmqvxX5uA_fcrwaApiUEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Go to home depot and get a piece of glass and a tube of ge 1 silicone. You tube the process. You could also get a pvc plug with a washer.

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't had experience with these before.

Let's say I silicone a nice healthy chunk of glass over it, would I be able to drill through it if I wanted to change it back to SW later? I might. 90G SW for me right now isn't a good fit but I would love it later.

Off the top of my head. You get a 12x12" square of 1/4" glass and lay down 2 circles around the hole a.few inches apart and then the perimeter of the square. Let cure for 3 days than run a bead around the glass, let cure 3 days. It can be removed carefully with a small spackle knife/trowel whenever. Clean tank with alcohol prior to silicone. Acetone would be best but I wouldn't i don't think??

Alcohol should get any residue out of there. Just give the silicone ample time to cure. It takes longer when it's humid out.

It also seems that when I know the size of the hole I can likely plug it with appropriate screw in part.

But it was mentioned it can somehow be used for easy water changes. I like that idea too.

Anyone ever done that? And what would one use?

I drilled the bottom of my sump and used a bulkhead to ball valve for draining. You could do something like that for sure. Measure the hole, they have everytji g you'd need on amazon for bulk heads and the rest you piece together at home depot, fun stuff

Is the overflow still built in? Or you could rebuild it and still use a sump filter for freshwater. I did that for a long time on the 55ish gallon tank I grew up on, bought used at a yard sale. Actually, I've still got the sump even though that tank is way out of commission. No idea if it would be sized right for a 90 gallon though.

Back
Top Bottom