Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2005, 03:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
SW testkits..

I know lamotte and hach have the high end covered as far as testing water is consered.. Im wondering what good testkits are being used that well dont cost a forutune.. thanks..

Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I use the AP saltwater master test kit and it does fine for me. Only thing else I had to buy was a calcium and phosphate kit in addition to the AP kit.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I started with... red sea, i think (it came in the "Starter package" that my tank and everything else came with) and wasn't happy with them at all. I asked this same question shortly after I got started and went with Salifert based on accuracy/value comparisons. I've been using them since and have been very happy with their accuracy and ease of use.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the Aquarium Pharmecueticals brand for the general tests. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates and ph. But use salifert for my calcium and iodine tests. I've been happy with these kits.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hagen seems pretty consistant to me. I cross check it with *gasp * a test strip and, yes, pretty skecthy but...they both match.

At least I got THAT going for me
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I havnt bought alot of stuff yet. that includes the little things like testkits and salt and such.. Ive been bussy thinking about how I want to do the setup.. its getting close to crunch time.. I have a full set of freshwater kits to test the water Im mixing with.. but thats about it.. so any oppinon is a good one right about now..
btw thats funny runway1
Old 10-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I’ve been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit also. Usually runs about $30 in the lfs but you can get it for $16.99 + shipping online.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/...55GX+1044+0228
For the money I feel it’s the best deal to test the basic parameters. These liquid tests have been pretty accurate imo and I have used them for 8+ years.

The Master Test Kit doesn’t test for CA, GH, or PO4, so you will have to buy those separately if you need those tests also and they usually run about $7 per test. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals also sells these test but I know a lot of people prefer Seachem or Salifert tests for reef systems.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a PO4 testkit I got for FW testing.. is it the same thing?

btw.. I dont want to sidetrack the thread with this question.. it was just a though.. thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i use aquarium pharmaceuticals, redsea, and sailfert. i like ap for the quick check just a few drops in shake, and for really acurrate test that take longer i use sailfert. just watch out for the nitrate ap test mine has three shades of yellow that can be hard to tell the difference so i use red sea for nitrate.

i have the ap test for phos and it will work for fresh or salt or at least that what the directions say. so i would you are safe with it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by flame82
just watch out for the nitrate ap test mine has three shades of yellow that can be hard to tell the difference so i use red sea for nitrate.
I have heard that from a lot of people and wonder if they are color blind or if it’s just easier for me? I agree the 2nd and 3rd colors are very close but for me it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s 0 and anything other than yellow is higher than 20 ppm and needs a pwc.

I just have a fowlr but if I kept any thing that was really sensitive to higher NO3 then I would change to the sailfert test. As it is I do 10% changes weekly so NO3 is almost always <5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com