Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Switch to LED lighting

I've been having major issues with my Tek T5 fixture since August. The ballest died and I have been fighting with the supplier to replace/repair the fixture since then.

I'm wondering if anyone has any real-world experience running with LED lights. In particular, there is a local shop that may be able to get the reefbrite fixtures: ReefBrite TECH LED | ReefBrite.com

According to the website each strip is equal to a T5 bulb, but I was looking at another site that stated that the fixture had twice the PAR rating as a single T5 bulb. That would mean that it has the capability to provide twice the light output reaching your corals as a single T5 bulb.

I'm running a 90G with mostly LPS but a few SPS in it.

The initial cost of the fixtures would be greatly offset by the difference in not having to replace T5 bulbs on such a regular basis.

I'm not looking for nay-sayers. Just people with actual experience or knowledge on the fixtures or technology in general. There are still a lot of people out there that say that you can't have a reef tank without HQI lighting but it's been years that people have been successfully using T5HO. I know that there are a lot of people stating that LEDs can't do it....but that's why I'm hoping to see people with some experience chime in.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi, I can't respond about the LED question but can I ask you more questions about the TEK problem? I have the same fixture which is still in warranty and was wondering what I should expect should my ballast die on me also. Have you tried contacting Sunlight Supply directly?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fixture is a six-bulb fixture. They are run by two ballasts: one for the two outside bulbs and another for the four inside bulbs. Two of the inside bulbs refused to fire and I tested the positions with known-good bulbs. The ballast had partially failed. I tried the workhorse 7 ballast in the fixture but it would always burnout and melt the fourth bulb (and when I mean melt, I mean melt away the glass on the T5 bulb). The workhorse 7 ran fine with only three of the 54W T5HO bulbs hooked up but with four there was always a problem.

The warranty was with the retailer and not Sunlight Supply. Sunlight Supply does not deal directly with customers.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Take a look at one of the LED threads.

I have the Pacific Sun BT-EX 120w on my 125. My Pink Birdsnest is growing like crazy since it went in 3 weeks ago. I have a new clam on the sand bed too that appears to be quite happy.

PAR drops off quicker at depth than with MH, but I'm not sure how that compares with T5.

Even though my fixture is on the expensive side, it was way cheaper than the 72 inch Giesemann Moonlight Infiniti 3x250W HQI + 4x80W T5 Light I was looking at and I have greater control over the lighting patterns.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome link. Thanks.

Since I would be moving from a 6-light fixture I would be looking at three to four of the 48" strips. I would probably go with four, which would give me a lot more light in the tank than with the Tek fixture.

I love the lower heat and less electricity used as well as the shimmer and long life.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've been debating on trying out Marineland's reef capable LED System.
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

anyone tried this yet?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Jay,

I'm lighting my FW planted tank with LEDs the link is in my sig. Have a look.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The LEDs look good on that freshwater tank.

I've got an order in for four 48" Reefbrite LED strips for my 90G. It should give me more light than with the 6 lamp Tek fixture I'll have to keep them dialled way down to avoid bleaching.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Light Question

Hi all,
Thinking about switching my four strip VHO powered by two Ice Cap 660 on my 180G tank to:
1. 72" Giesemann Infiniti Light Fixture (3) 250W HQI + (4) 80W T5
2. (2) Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System 36 (36) 10,000K White & (6) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs - 2610 Lumens
What will be the better choice of the two or should I stick with VHO and purchuse 2 AquaSun and 2 Actinic? Do you think VHO will do the job, I mostly have soft corals. Any advice would be nice. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	26724  

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com