Switching Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redraptor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my 72 gallon has a Pennplax Cascade filter on it that I got when I picked up the tank used. It does about 285 gallons and hour and is rated to handle up to 100 gallons. I've been going with it since october and its ok, but I think more would be better. I've been looking at the Fluval 406 rated to 100 gallons, and does 383 gallons and hour and its in my price range.

Has anyone switched filters on a established tank before? Can I move the old media from the Cascade into the Fluval(they are mostly compatible from what I've seen from my fluval 105) and skip cycling or will I have issues?

Why not run them both together?

Then you can consider selling the old canister after you get the new canister established.

Just bought a Fluval 406 yesterday on Amazon. Cost me $163.97. If you can find a Petco that has a 406 in stock you can try to get them to honor their online sale price of $169.99. Normally they sell them for $219.99. The one by me wouldn't price match because they had the older 405 model. YMMV.

I'll let you know how I like it, I paid $3.99 extra to get it overnighted (I'm a prime member).

Old filter

Hello there! I am in the process of setting my 1st saltwater tank and trying to gather the needed equipment. I had no idea it would be this expensive. Is there any chance once you know the new filter is working If I could purchase the old one?

Thanks for your time!!

i wouldnt use this filter on saltwater. Its ok for freshwater, but salt wants really good water quality, I doubt my canister can do what you need.

If I am not mistaken, a lot of saltwater do not use filter... Just live rock, skimmers and other equipment but I don't not have sw so I am not completely sure

Hello there! I am in the process of setting my 1st saltwater tank and trying to gather the needed equipment. I had no idea it would be this expensive. Is there any chance once you know the new filter is working If I could purchase the old one?

Thanks for your time!!

Used canister are great mechanical filters. Dont buy a new one. Clean it out every week. A GOOD skimmer and live rocks help a lot more though.

Thanks all!

I'm just starting the tank but I was lucky enough to start off with a friends sand with live stuff & rocks too.So we assume its like just moving a tank. All is looking great but all the shops have filters in their saltwater tanks & the books say to too. So I'm confused why it wouldn't need one. My tank is only 35 gallons & the ones I looked into with canister are at least $50 on amazon. I'm using an old one that I had that is good for up to 20 gallons & with the beautiful rocks I got today I can only fit bout 25 gallons anyway. Thanks for considering me for the old filter. Is this site only about freshwater? Sorry I was rushing earlier & haven't even really looked over site.
:thanks:

There are different section for fw and sw. As well as other things. this site is about everything!

Back
Top Bottom