switching from 55gal to 80gal...new filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snipes287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
right now ive got a cascade 100 which pumps at 270gph that i had on the 55 but now i got an 80, so i was wondering if i should keep it the way it is or if i should get another canaster.

if i did i would prolly go with either a fluval 304 or a filstar x2

so what should i do? im not sure on the fish im having but it will be a community and it will be planted.

keep what i have or get anotherone? andif i should get another what should i get?

I would get another IMO, but first keep running that filter on that tank so as to speed up the cycle.

Agreed...canisters are so much better for larger tanks (not to mention neater). I love the fluval but the filstar is a tad better from what I've heard.

oops, yes i meant the 1000. there really isnt much of a price difference between the 1000 x2 and the 304. so what do u all think.

and sorry about the bad typing...broke my dominant wrist so im learning how to peck type with the old lefty...gosh this is slow lol

For larger tanks I like having a hob & a canister. Set the canister up for bio filtration, the hob for mechanical.

have plants and eventually co2 so i dont want the surface agitation that a hob brings.

so none thinks one filter is better than the other?

It's really up to you. Everyone has their favorite brand. Some prefer Fluvals, some prefer Filstars whereas others prefer the Eheims or Cascades. They all have their advantages.

The XP2 and XP3 are great filters. The Fluvals from what I heard are a little tougher setting up and opening, but once you get used to it and it's set up, it's just as good. I haven't heard alot on the Cascade except from in this forum, which sounds like another excellent choice. I'd get another cannister, run it on the cycled tank for about 3 weeks, then put on the new tank. That way you'll be miles ahead, and may not see much of a cycle spike.

If you go with the Filstar, might look at both the XP2 and XP3 and see which you would thing would be better for your particular setup. I'm putting my XP3 on a 75G planted, when I get the tank. Currently it's on my 55G with my Emperor 400 getting all cycled up. Then when I get the tank, will just have to move it over and add fish and plants, along with the CO2 system.

Back
Top Bottom