Switching from Zoo-Med Flora Sun to ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this is kind of embarrassing. A while back I posted a thread saying I thought my light was 8000K. Well, after actually removing the bulb from the fixture ... there it was labeled a Zoo-Med Flora Sun. The bulb has some calcium deposits on it from the previous owner so It did not occur to me to check the bulb sooner.

Soooo ... I checked out a Zoo-Med Ocean Sun 10,000K bulb and I noticed the light slightly blueish look and I wasn't too crazy about it. I also saw the Zoo-Med Ultra Sun 6500K high intensity trichromatic full spectrum daylight lamp.

I have a 75g with low-maintenance plants, so should I stay with Flora Max or switch to the 6500K or 10,000K light ..both are the same price. Has anyone ever had any of these lights to offer their opinion. The Flora max is advertised for Max Plant Growth but does not say the K value. I do not use CO2 and I'm looking to keep away from it, plus buying a T5HO and fixtures is not in the budget.

Depending on the depth of your tank, any of those for low-light plants would work. Personally, the "plant" lights, including the 6500k-6700k lights are no so pleasing for viewing fish... I like the 10000k's appearance better. I have a two-bulb fixture with a 6700k and a 10000k tube.

6500K to 7500K is the proper light color for planted aquaria.

10,000k is outside the spectrum that is usable for aquatic plants.

6500K to 7500K is the proper light color for planted aquaria.

10,000k is outside the spectrum that is usable for aquatic plants.

Thank you all for your help ... My tank is 18 inches high so I'm going to get the 6500K bulb today. Hopefully I'll see more growth from my plants.(y)

One has to understand that the spectrum listed for bulbs is where the peak output is- the primary targeted k-range.

That being said- a 10000k bulb still has output in the 6500-6800 range, just not as much as the 6700k bulb.

For moderate and lower-light plants, a T5 HO tube in the 10000k spectrum still likely would do just fine, though the 6700k would be "better".

Another consideration- some don't care for the "looks" of the lower k rating bulb. To each their own.

Well I went to the Petco to get the UltraSun 6700K and found that the tube was opened, you could see the cardboard was ripped in fact. I decided to check the bulb and too my surprise, the 10,000K coral sun bulb was in it!:facepalm:

And of course, there were no other 48 inch UltraSun tubes ... so I go to Petsmart .. and they had no zoomed lights at all.:banghead:

I'll try another Petco not to far away, but I'd hate to have to buy one online.
I suppose I could check some of my LFS.

ZooMed isn't the only maker of T5 bulbs...

When I bought my ZooMed T5 HO fixture (two bulb), I got a 10000k and a 6700k ZooMed bulb. The first 6700k bulb was bad. Took it back to the Petco and got another. Guess what- I. Was bad too. Finally, the third (and last they had in-stock) works.

ZooMed isn't the only maker of T5 bulbs...

When I bought my ZooMed T5 HO fixture (two bulb), I got a 10000k and a 6700k ZooMed bulb. The first 6700k bulb was bad. Took it back to the Petco and got another. Guess what- I. Was bad too. Finally, the third (and last they had in-stock) works.

Unfortunately I have a T8 Fixture and investing in a T5 hood is not in the budget ... yet. Hopefully the Petco I check today will have the 6500K.

jcolon said:
Unfortunately I have a T8 Fixture and investing in a T5 hood is not in the budget ... yet. Hopefully the Petco I check today will have the 6500K.

Sorry, my "bad"- I missed that and guess I assumed you had been talking about T5.

I just wasn't that crazy about the blueish hue the 10000 gave my tank. Looks like I may have to invest in T5 fixtures, time to start saving up for a dual bulb.

At least the fixture and light I got was free!

Back
Top Bottom