Switching out incandescent bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a 10 gal tank with light hood from someone out of the classifieds. The hood has two 25W incandescent bulbs. They are thin bulbs and there isn't room for anything wide. Are there any CF bulbs that I could replace them with? This is for a mantis tank so I'm not too concerned about corals. Mostly worried about heat and nuissance algae but if I could keep some GSP or other easy corals, that would be a bonus.

096316542105.jpg

coralife mini CF bulbs screw into incandecent fixtures. they come in 10 and 20 watt, plenty of light.

Those work great. You can also set a 6500K bulb at HD that is similar. I think they are in the $8 range. Little yellow in color though.

Those look perfect! I'll see how cheap I can find them. If they're expensive I might go for the $8 6500K bulbs. Thanks again for the help.

I really want to setup a mantis tank. I wonder if they can be housed with any sea stars?

My main concern about starting one up is controlling algae without the use of snails or hermits?

Another thought would be a small tux. urchin? The mantis probably eats these though. Can anyone confirm this?

That's ok... I already got my question answered. I don't know about the sea stars. A smasher mantis will definitely eat snails and hermits. Tends to be their primary diet. The urchin might be ok. Depending on which species of mantis you get, it will have preferred prey. As long as that preferred prey is available, everything else is somewhat safe. But just as we would, if there's no other food, the mantis will eat whatever is available.

Gatorfreak,

At our local Wal-Marts here in J'ville, they have the 6500K 10W PC's in the Fish Section for $4.89. I believe they are made by Lights of America...

I'll check my local walmarts. Thanks! And I was just in Jacksonville on Saturday... watching my Gators put a hurtin on the Dawgs! :mrgreen: My voice still hasn't returned to normal.

The coralife bulbs look really nice but I went the cheapo route and got a pair of 15W 6500K CF bulbs for $8.50 (total) at Walmart. They were in the regular lighting section, listed as "sunlight" bulbs. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom