Switching to a Bio-Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 30g fish tank with a Tetra Whisper EX70 filter. I'm half way through the cycling process, I've got nitrite readings, but no nitrates yet. My friend is insistant that I switch to a bio-wheel filter, but will that affect my cycling process?

Trail_Mix said:
So I have a 30g fish tank with a Tetra Whisper EX70 filter. I'm half way through the cycling process, I've got nitrite readings, but no nitrates yet. My friend is insistant that I switch to a bio-wheel filter, but will that affect my cycling process?

IMO you shouldn't mess with it till you're done cycling and have you read the fishless cycling stickie?

As for the bio wheel filter, if/when you decide to switch filters IME the AquaClear filters are the best choice. I had a bio wheel filter and it was a pain, mainly the wheel always stopped and it was noisy compared to my AC50. You might conider keeping both inservice too, I have an AC50 & Fusion4 on my 37g tall. Extra filtration is great, if one needs cleaning I have 1 running and if I need to QT a fish I have a filter ready for instant cycling for it.

Back
Top Bottom