Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Switching to a canister filter

I'm fed up with my Aqueon 50. I bought it in July with my 46g tank but no matter how often I clean the filter pad (in used tank water) it seems to clog where the water is flowing around & over & barely below the top of filter case. I worry it'll overflow. I've changed the pad (testing the water for days after to make sure no problems occur) & within 2 weeks its doing the same thing. So I wash my hands of it & ordered my Fluval 306 today!! I hope it's as easy as people say to set up!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca
I'm fed up with my Aqueon 50. I bought it in July with my 46g tank but no matter how often I clean the filter pad (in used tank water) it seems to clog where the water is flowing around & over & barely below the top of filter case. I worry it'll overflow. I've changed the pad (testing the water for days after to make sure no problems occur) & within 2 weeks its doing the same thing. So I wash my hands of it & ordered my Fluval 306 today!! I hope it's as easy as people say to set up!
Canister filters are great! My 05 series moderately easy to set up.

Keep in mind that canisters will clog too and should be cleaned regularly as well

Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i use to have a flu valve intank filter after a while i got mad that it would suck up my fry

so i got a sun sun 303b filter and fell in love
never again plus it makes your tank look neat
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

HAPPY DANCE! Got my new Fluval 306 set up today & had only a minor tinge of panic when I thought I cut the 1st hose too short but it all worked out! My only concern now is the instructions say don't slow the flow by more than 1/2 & for my tank a little less than half is perfect, hmmmm a bit of a quandary.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well darn apparently I have a mini cycle. I had hoped I used enough of the established filter pad & rinsed the new media in used tank water to avoid it but on the bright side I have low nitrites .25 after 24 hrs so hopefully the cycle won't last long.

Tags
canister, canister filter, chi, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com