Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

T-5 lighting for the 55 gallon

Amazon.com: Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X54W, 48": Kitchen & Dining

Looking at this for lighting in my 55 and perhaps something similar in my 30.
Would appreciate any/all your opinions reviews, input...
Tanks & Aloha,
Scott

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That seems like a lot for just a FW tank. I used the stock hooded lights for my 55 gallon and then added 2 LED white moon light modules ($40 for both). Unless you're going for a planted tank, get something cheaper like 2 of these:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...7&pcatid=13447

Plus the hood will prevent any fish from jumping out.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Std lighted hood bulb upgrades

Well, if I were to go with a stock type hood, can I change up the type of bulbs I use like say something my petstore recommended called something like a 50/50?
Still like the idea of the T-5. Convince me the std hood can make the tank look as nice. (added moonlight LED's would be a nice touch, but how?) I don't want to waste my $$ and turn around and end up getting a T-5 lunar fixture.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
get one of these:
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X54 Watt, 48 inch

you can use one actinic bulb and one daylight bulb. then you can do a morning/evening transition. you don't want moonlights. they are overrated. you can hardly see anything. it's pointless.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can someone explain how the actinic and daylight bulbs are used for a morning evening transition or dusk/dawn effect?
I have never had anything but std/stock light fixtures.
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, you would just put the 2 bulbs on timers...oops...this fixture only has one cord. that means you can't do the morning evening thing, but what you do is put both lamps on timers, and turn the actinic on in the morning, then about 2 hours later, both lamps on...then about 2 hours before night, you turn the daylight back off again, so you end up with just the blue bulb on for an hour or two before darkness.
the morning evening thing is for humans anyway. fish are going to be just as startled with an actinic lamp flicking on as a daylight lamp IMO.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just bought this light, love it and wasn't too expensive. I also have a 55g FW.

Solarmax 48" T5HE 2x28w Aquarium Strip Tank Light w/LED - eBay (item 160534869382 end time Feb-18-11 13:39:22 PST)

Please show your support for this site, vote...Click here
kirbster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh808 View Post
Well, if I were to go with a stock type hood, can I change up the type of bulbs I use like say something my petstore recommended called something like a 50/50?
Still like the idea of the T-5. Convince me the std hood can make the tank look as nice. (added moonlight LED's would be a nice touch, but how?) I don't want to waste my $$ and turn around and end up getting a T-5 lunar fixture.

No you cannot.The ballast is rated for only a certain wattage. You would need to retrofit.

And no. Those lights are NOT too much light for fw at all. You'll be approaching high light-very high light though and that is pretty demanding.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, light, lighting, t-5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com