T5 4 bulb fixture help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a T5 4 bulb fixture. It is 48 inches long. It has 2 day lights and 2 blue lights. I am looking to replace the bulbs but need to know if they will handle corals and fish. Or if there is something better I can replace the bulbs with?

Thanks for any help!

Where did you get your fixture? I bought one just like yours (except it was shorter in length) and the stock bulbs were perfectly fine. All of my corals have grown alot with those bulbs. I switched the bulbs around in the fixture because i like the white color more then the blue, so i put the blue bulbs in back right next to eachother, it was also good because i was able to controll all the blue bulbs with 1 timer. :)

My fixture is from fishneedit.com

I bought mine used from someone off of craigslist the bulbs are two years old so I have a red slime issue right now( also got the tank from him). He bought it from our LFS. I cant seem to find much advice from people on any of the forums on the T5 lights. And there are ton of options for bulbs. And I dont always trust the LFS people but looks like I am going to have too.

Whether it will be sufficient for corals greatly depends on the depth of the tank and the types of corals you're wanting to keep. 4x t5ho is sufficient for a lot of corals in general, but the difference in a shallow tank and a deep tank is pretty big in terms of what you can keep lower down. For replacement bulbs, I'd look in to ATI. I have one of each - blue plus, coral plus, purple plus, aquablue special. The color combo is really up to you. My tank is blue, but not so blue that everything gets washed out.

I run T5's on a few of my tanks. :) really good lighting option and a 4 bulb setup should allow you to keep most corals.

How big is your tank? if it's a 55g then you should be good. If it's a 75g pr a 90g then you might have some issues with some corals if ypu go with just 4 bulbs.

As far as actual bulbs, I have stuck with ATI brand and have been very very happy with them. On my 4 bulb fixtures I go with 2 ATI aquablue plus (white lights) and 2 ATI blue plus (actinic/blue). It keeps that nasty yellow out of the light and gives a nice chill color to your tank. The difference in stock bulbs and the ATI's are night and day, you wouldn't believe the difference they will make.

I run a 75 gallon tank. I have heard good things about ATI just having trouble finding them at a good price that doesnt have 20$ shipping!
I was thinking maybe I could do one blue, purple or would that look obnoxious?

Aquacave is the best place I've found for bulbs. They don't charge any additional shipping, just the $4.99 (I think) flat rate.

You only listed 2. Contrary to the name, the purple plus is not purple. If anything, it's a light blue (IMO at least).

Back
Top Bottom