T5 Bulb Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hola!

I currently am running a 48" Tek Lighting 6x54w T5HO system over my 75g with the following bulb arrangement:

4 x Actinic White 54W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting (Located on second switch)
2 x Super Actinic R 54W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting (Located on first switch)

The setup is pretty white, but as with the 10k spectrum it still has a tint of yellow in it. I'm looking for opinions on how to move towards a more "blueish tint" without an overwhelming effect. I've worked with the HID spectrums in cars, and these seem quite similar, where a white is general yellow and a blue is generally whieish/blue.

My main item to keep in mind is my RBTA while choocing lighting options. Any info on perhaps a better bulb combination (For a more naturalwhiteish blue look) then my 4 10k's for daylight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brad

You could try swapping out one or two of the 10,000K bulbs for a super actinic or for a 420/460 bulb.

Hola!

I currently am running a 48" Tek Lighting 6x54w T5HO system over my 75g with the following bulb arrangement:

4 x Actinic White 54W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting (Located on second switch)
2 x Super Actinic R 54W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting (Located on first switch)

I say leave like it is. Good combo already. JMO

There are so many options than your every day 10k vs. actinic...try this:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

This should give you about a 12k-14k appearance. You could also switch out a Blue Plus for another UVL or GE if you don't want as much blue. Check out reefgeek.com as they have a huge bulb offering :)

You labeled your 4 bulbs as 10k, but if they are indeed Super Actinic by UVL then they are actually (50/50) 12k, if I'm not mistaken. The Super Actinics are an actinic blue. The "K" rating is just the bulb's appearance to the eye of, well... you :) There are no guarantees so you'll have to play with combinations. Just remember that if you order new bulbs you still have the old ones as a backup in case you notice any problems.

Back
Top Bottom