T5 bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankieg2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone, I see a lot of questions about T5 bulbs here today and I have one, I heard that cheaper bulbs can add to a algae growth problem is this true? I have a 4 bulb 48" T5 fixture on a 72 gallon that came with my setup and the bulbs are Sea World? Has anyone heard of them? I'm thinking of going with ATI, I found them on Ebay for any four for $99.99 w/ shipping, And what combo of bulbs to use? I guess I have a couple of questions. Thanks Frank,

Never heard of Sea World except for the park.

You can choose different combinations of bulbs depending on what you are doing with your tank. Some lights are better for reefs, some for planted tanks, some brighter or more subdued. It depends on what you are doing with the tank.

I have seen people use only 1 type of light, match pairs of lights or use two, three or even 4 different kinds of bulbs.

All bulbs will contribute to algae growth, but you can control or reduce growth by reducing the amount of time your lights are on and by setting a 2 - 3 hour 'siesta' during the day.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Hi Jim, I'm thinking of going with the ATI bulbs in this combo, 2 Aqua blues 12k,1 Blue plus Actinic and 1 Purple plus, I think Carey had this combo in one of her threads, What do you guys think?
Frank,

I kinda like the purple bulbs and I kinda don't. In my opinion it gives off a really purple hue. here's a picture with the blues and purple running

img_1562247_0_c85d9610c8352593ab38c1e82509a5c3.jpg

Hi Carey, Wow, nice tank! Are they the ATI bulbs? Or you didn't get them yet? The lights look good in the pic, But your not sold on the purple?
Frank,

If you don't mind the purple hue, and you like the "less" blue look then yeah sounds like a good mix. I happen to like a very blue tank so I miss not having all the blue plus's as my actinics. lol

I can for sure say ATI bulbs are awesome and you'll be very pleased with them. This is my second tank with the ATI's and I love them. Also not too too expensive in my opinion.

Don't mean to dissuade you, just giving my opinion. :) The purple bulb does make the colors a bit more vibrant and the full on lights will look a bit brighter than if you go with 2 blue plus's. I just have so much coralline on my rocks it just makes the purple algae even more noticeable. lol

Alot of the rock came from my 55g but the majority only went in the tank about 4 months ago. Almost all base rock from reefcleaners. I had about 100lbs of rock from my 55 or so and the rest is all fresh new rock.

Once you get some it'll be like a plague and take over! I've got it everywhere, it's actually kinda ridiculous. LOL

Sorry I havent gotten back sooner. I like the combo you have, but be prepared to make some changes. Thats just part of the hobby. I love the way Carey has her tank set up. If you prefer something brighter you can always change one or more of the bulbs, or if you prefer more blue you can go all blue. It's all according to how you want it to look.

Enjoy!!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom