Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

T5 Bulbs- Options

I'm really wanting to replace the 12 bulbs in my T5 unit and am shopping around prices.

I plan on 6 12k bulbs and 6 blue (460). I like the blue hue very much.

My first choice of course being the ATI bulbs at about $21 each.

I also came across Wavepoint bulbs, they are much much cheaper ($13)and have the same color spectrum that I'm looking for with the ATI's.

Also saw regular old standard replacement bulbs from current, the maker of the light. ($13)

Which ones should I go with in everyone's opinion? I think my corals are suffering under the old bulbs I have now, they dont' seem to be as vibrant and aren't growing as much as when I had them under new bulbs.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No one has any experience with any of these bulbs?

Any input would be good input

Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I personally don't have any experience but my brother uses Wavepoint in his 6 bulb T5 fixture and absolutely loves them, he's running three different waves in his saltwater set up.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks, just what i wanted to hear. Someone who actually knows if they are good not. I may give them a try.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I use Giesemanns and love them. I have also read nothing but wonderful things about them. I have also heard great things about ATI's and Wavepoints, though I have no firsthand experience with them. I'd say any of those 3 brands would give you good quality, just don't go with some cheap bulbs... as they say, you get what you pay for

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, exactly. I have the ATI's running in my 48" fixture and love them. Just kinda am on a budget right now so the wavepoints were attractive.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, can't help lol. How long did the ones that came with your Current last?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i bought the unit used and its been about a year. I can tell that they need to be changed, the light isnt near as crisp as it is on my 55g
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

carey i'd stick with the ATIs they are proven lamps. i would go with those or KZ, but KZ are a little more pricey

T5 lamp PAR readings - Reef Central Online Community

page 32 at the bottom is PAR valuse for the KZ lamps

Tags
bulb, bulbs, t5 bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com