T5 info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been out of the loop for awhile. From what I am seeing, T5 is the way to go. I would like if someone could tell me why or how these are better than power compact, MH etc... and what I need to know when I go to buy some....ie how to know how many, or how many watts I need etc...

Thanks a bunch!!!

They are newer, last longer that PC and a lot thinner. A large portion of their output comes from using a parabolic (picture an M over each tube) reflector. The cheap ones use a simple angled reflector or no real reflector at all.

supermarvin76 said:
I have been out of the loop for awhile. From what I am seeing, T5 is the way to go. I would like if someone could tell me why or how these are better than power compact, MH etc... and what I need to know when I go to buy some....ie how to know how many, or how many watts I need etc...

Thanks a bunch!!!

Checkout T5 fixtures or retro kits from Sunlight Supply - good reflectors are key to a good T5 setup. As far as T5 bulbs go, I had a 2 GE Daylight/2 Blue Plus setup, but recently switched to 2 BluePlus/2 AquaBlue (11k). The GE Daylight have the most PAR (I've read), but they are very yellow, so if you use these you need BluePlus to offset (well, imho).

I am not sure that they are "better" than MH. MH beats a T5 in intensity hands down I would think. They are cheaper for sure. Although the T5 bulbs last longer, you have more to replace. Someone with alot of time on their hands can do the math. MH bulbs last a year. T-5 HO non actinic bulbs last 2 years while the actinics last 18 months is what Foster & Smith says on their website.

General Rule of Thumb is 4 wpg for most corals is a good average. SPS corals and anemone, higher lighting.

You have a pretty small tank, so I would think you would do fine with T5..all the previous is just trivia.

Back
Top Bottom