T5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the difference between t5 lighting and normal flourescent lighting? The only difference ive noticed is the reflector behind the bulbs. Does this increase the wattage? (well not the wattage exactly, but does it increase the power of the lights?)

TIA

More lumens per watt to make it short and simple. It is basically an unfolded pc bulb. They are slimmer also allowing more bulbs per the same area.

Smaller diameter too, which means they can pack more bulbs, and thus more light, into a tighter space.

If you wanna go with T5 lighting, make certain you get a fixture with Tek 5 reflectors. These are the best reflectors for T5 lighting and actually increase lux significantly.

(Lux is essentially the measurement of light intensity penetration...in other words those reflectors get more light to the bottom of the tank with more intensity...perfect for high light foreground plants).

T5 has been gaining popularity this past year, mainly in SW/reef tanks, and more so in Europe than the US...but they are on the rise here now too.

I dont know what type of reflector it is, but its the coralife brand of lights. So when you it increases the intensity. What lighting level of plants should i get? (28 watt, 24 gallon tank)

With T5s 2wpg is a good target for a wide assortment of plants. A little over or under is fine also. You're something in the range of 48-55watts.

fishygurl said:
I dont know what type of reflector it is, but its the coralife brand of lights. So when you it increases the intensity. What lighting level of plants should i get? (28 watt, 24 gallon tank)

Those new Cotallife low-profile T5s are great....two doubles on your 24 should be sufficient.

YAAAY! Im happy now, i was not looking foward to having a tank full of java moss. LOL I suppose i should look at making a DIY co2 then.. I think i understand how to do it, but i dont know which reactor to get. THey seem horribly expensive (40$) for one of those ladder things. Interesting thing is that the T5 were the onmly choice for lighting other than CF.

For DIY co2 I would use a sweetwater airstone. Maybe a ceramic or glass diffuser. I don't like reactors with DIY, only pressurized.

Its still almost 40 canadian :| I thought airstones were not very good a diffusing co2, mabye i was wrong. Well anyways, if i did use an airstone, I dont undersatnd what pusher the co2 out of the air stone. Now, i just want to confirm that i understand how to do the co2.
1 2 liter bottle with hole drilled in lid (not sure which size?)
force airline tubing into the hole and seal with glue
run that airline into the another bottle to act as a gas seperator but do you run that line into the water in the gas seperator?
Run another airline through a hole in the gas seprator lid to the diffuser. (again is this line supposed to reach into the water?)

What is the recipe for the c02 solution?

fishygurl said:
Its still almost 40 canadian :| I thought airstones were not very good a diffusing co2, mabye i was wrong.

You can get the glass ones from AquaGiant in Edmonton for $16CDN....and they are not airstones, but sintered glass, which is what Amano uses...positioned just under the output from a small powerhead, they are even more incredible at diffusion.

Well anyways, if i did use an airstone, I dont undersatnd what pusher the co2 out of the air stone. Now, i just want to confirm that i understand how to do the co2.

Pressure from your tank (homemade or otherwise) does.

1 2 liter bottle with hole drilled in lid (not sure which size?)

Whatever fits your tubing snugly.

force airline tubing into the hole and seal with glue
run that airline into the another bottle to act as a gas seperator but do you run that line into the water in the gas seperator?
Run another airline through a hole in the gas seprator lid to the diffuser. (again is this line supposed to reach into the water?)

By 'gas seperator', do you mean 'bubble-counter'?

What is the recipe for the c02 solution?

There are numerous ones online...and a few in the planted tanks section of this board....personally, I prefer to skip all that (except with the two little Nutrafin systems I have), and go with a tank and regs....a bit more pricey at first, but easier and cheaper in the long run, especially with any tank over 35G.

A gas seperator is a empty bubble counter to seperate solids/liquids that may come from the DIY CO2 generator(s) Toirtis.. :)

btw.. IceCap's new T-5 Reflectors are suppose to rank right up there with TEK's solution :D for anyone keeping up with this news there are some German ones outperforming both.. LOL

I have never seen those things anywhere, there are no good fish stores in Victoria. For the gas seperator/bubble counter do you fill it with water?

For the gas seperator/bubble counter do you fill it with water?
Half full, above the input tube. It is best to have the exit of the input tube far below the water line so you do not have to topoff for evaporation as often, Should you be the type that wants redundancy/saftey, if the bottle is secured over the tank it will prevent back siphon, if the canisters are below the tank and knocked down or something.

Those little tonic water bottles are the perfect size.

Attachments

• bubblecounter_separatorbottle.jpg
    bubblecounter_separatorbottle.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,687
One more question when you said 48-55 watts, its 2 14 watt bulbs not 2 24 what bulbs. Im confused, because that only 28 watts in total, but my medium light plants are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom