T5 lighting for my 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at a T5 w/ moonlight setup by odessey. Anyone hear of the brand? how is it? People are asking $150, they say its 4 months old.

That company doesn't have the best reputation. Basically known for cheap fixtures that fail or short out and are fire hazards. You get what you pay for. If I were you, I would look into retro-fit kits or a reputable name such as Current USA.

Don't go with Odyssea. I was looking at their product on ebay for $300 (new) with 2 MH lights. Confused at the $500 under market price, I did my research and found a lot of complaints. Basically, I found out that unless you're handy with electrical and willing to upgrade the Icecaps and ballast and the bulbs it comes with, then go for it. Otherwise, just buy the name brand and save yourself the frustration.

I was going to get the 48" AquaticLife Six Lamp T5 for my 55gallon because I really wanted the moonlight LEDs, but it was too wide. Now I am going to purchase the Current Nova Extreme T5 light fixture, which is basically the same, just no built-in timer or moonlights.

current makes decent fixtures, and from time to time they sell refurbished models on ebay.
also "tek" lights from sunlight supply will also do the job well.
these are both middle of the road manufacturers.

btw, moonlights are overrated. you really can't see much when you view the tank with them on, and there has been no data proving that the simulated moonlights promote spawning. if that was the case, ambient lighting from the room is all you need.

Have one. Dont like it. Salt creep got into the moonlights. They dont work now and cant be replaced. Have to buy moonlights separate.

The only time I like the moonlights is if they are actinic. If this is the case having only them on at night will make anything they shine on look amazing.

If the lunar cycle triggers breeding in corals than your moonlights should mimic the lunar cycle (slowly get brighter, then dimmer, then brighter again across the course of a month) not just be on all night every night at the same strength.

The Tek lights are nice, you can adjust their height if you hang them on their hanging kit or you can let them sit on the tank with their mounting legs.

Current has started specializing in just HOT5s though so they have really stepped up their game. Check them both out and see what will work best for you, remember you get what you pat for.

My vote is for TEK, I've used Current and Odyssea and prefer the TEK over all of them. What ever you decide to do with T5's you want to make sure that each bulb has it's own reflector.

here it is :)

img_1188963_0_0bba65d597fb4b0caaa801ff570a4091.jpg

Hinds04
I just ordered a T5, 4 bulb light fixture by Odessey, free light bulbs total 216 watts, from Aqua Traders. Qualifies for free shipping. If this is what you want they are on sale for $98.90 and they go fast. I have had to wait 2 weeks for the new shipment to arrive. Next shipment might be higher than the &98.90. I was looking at another brand with 2 bulbs total watts of 54, for $ 125.00 plus shipping, prior to finding these. Hope this helps. This is for my 75 gallon tank as well. Good Luck

Rebel. Good luck with your purchase. Plan on replacing the free bulbs asap.
That brand has a terrible reputation and I could never recommend it to anyone. Sorry, but I've had prior experience with them. It was not pleasant.

Well I understand that too. Everything I have read about each piece of aquarium equipment, is either good or bad. My guess it's a crap shoot. For every 2 to 5 people that like one thing there are 6 more that have a problem with it. From canister filters to heaters, to lights. I have read bad reviews on what to use as substrate. I have read them from Consumer Report, to these forums. So I guess we live and learn. But thanks for your input, I appreciate it as well. So I think it is like buying a new car, if you know what I mean.

good luck with the odessey fixture. quite a few bad reviews about them online.
i hope you guys are planning on low to medium light corals. 4 bulbs is going to limit you.

All of my aquariums in the past have had a singe 40 watt fluorescent bulb, 4 bulbs with a 216 watt rating...I will need sunglasses.

Hinds04
I just ordered a T5, 4 bulb light fixture by Odessey, free light bulbs total 216 watts, from Aqua Traders.

How is the Odyssea light working out for you? I'm not being facetious, I just would like to know how they're working a month later. Maybe you could change a lot of our opinions about them.

Lighting is fine. But my fixture had moon lights in it too. They no longer work because the salt got into the moonlights. They are not replaceable.

go to an eletrical supplier and get a T5 high output strip fixture and retro fit it. thats what i'm doing for my little 26 gallon.

as far as i'm concered lighting sold for aquariums are a rip off and when i can get a 2 lamp 24" fixture for $45 compared to $140 there is no question what i'll do, and the fixtures are good, cooper lighting. replacement 6500k lamps are $4 but i can't get an actinic so i'd have to go to an aquarium store to get that

Back
Top Bottom